Fusible Link Dodge B200 1977.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 03:10 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fusible Link Dodge B200 1977.

As you can see - it's not been looked after very well!!
Hello everybody.
I need to replace the battery terminals and cables on the above van I'm restoring in the UK. The terminals and cables aren't the problem - it's very straight forward.
As you are probably aware there is a fusible link off the positive terminal, which goes up through the firewall and behind the dash. The one currently on my van is, to say the least, shot!! It has been repaired several times and not very well - crimps and tape!!.
So, my question is how do I take apart the firewall multi plug to gain access to it's pin and secondly what size cable should I use to replace it? I'm a true novice at auto electrics, and I really am struggling to understand the use of the link and why it couldn't just have a proper fuse on it?
As always, any guidance will very much appreciated . . .
Best regards from the UK
Timbo

Last edited by Timbo; 08-14-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C
Old 08-17-2018, 05:44 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
As far as I know.... it just unclips and you pull it apart?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:38 AM

I'm going through similar situation, i have 3 weather packs connected to firewall, the held in by 2 metal clips that fold up and pull out, weather pack then disconnects, don't yank wiggle back forth up and down, take your time, looking at male and of connectors there should be rubber gasket dividing terminals, lift up with small flat head, should reveal Male end which kind of looks like sewing thread removal tool, small pair of needle nose pliers gently squeeze top and bottom of terminal while pushing link forward then pull back, to reinsert you may have spread apart male term end a little bit so it locks back in place firmly, clean and dielectric grease ends with q tip.
The following users liked this post:
Timbo (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:03 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Emr12345
I'm going through similar situation, i have 3 weather packs connected to firewall, the held in by 2 metal clips that fold up and pull out, weather pack then disconnects, don't yank wiggle back forth up and down, take your time, looking at male and of connectors there should be rubber gasket dividing terminals, lift up with small flat head, should reveal Male end which kind of looks like sewing thread removal tool, small pair of needle nose pliers gently squeeze top and bottom of terminal while pushing link forward then pull back, to reinsert you may have spread apart male term end a little bit so it locks back in place firmly, clean and dielectric grease ends with q tip.
That seems much easier than I envisaged! Cheers for the info, I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 08-17-2018, 09:28 AM

By the colors and blue tab that says fusible link, it looks just like the one i have, When i removed my fusible link there was a #10 stamped into male end of terminal, i read post quick because I'm at work but If it's not blown or causing any issues, why do you want to replace the link,i saw it looked like a mess, I've been searching for a new because my situation link is extremely hot, i thought it was do to corrosion in wire itself. Why don't you just replace battery lead terminal with #4 guage terminal with new leads and recrimp existing fusible link so you don't have to risk damaging the terminal end, my link is roughly 5 inches i know length plays a factor in link and I've read that link should be 2 to 4 sizes smaller then the size wire is protecting. Can you recommend any links so i can find what models interchange with my 75 dodge sportman mb30, when i go to parts store or Google search nothing comes up, pays some only come up with b100 b200 b300 models and im not sure what model is actually right 1
Timbo (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Mopar Fan

Hey Emr12345, it's more than a mess, it's been badly repaired and I had to do a bodge repair on it - when the van came in from the US. the fusible link cable is probably original, has been badly jointed with crimps, has signs of heat damage and is very brittle - my van won't start unless it's good? So for peace of mind, whilst I renew the #4 gauge on both + and -, which are also passed their best, I may as well replace the link too, with an inline fuse - I've been told a 20amp?? I'll test it and see what it's actually pulling and fuse it accordingly. As for the cable size of the link, in the UK it's a 12awg - which I intend to use. As for replacement fusible links, my pal at work, he's the spark - sorry vehicle electrician, for the haulage firm I work for, told me fusible links are very old tech and can safely be replaced with in line fuses, again you'd need to work out the fuse value beforehand.
What's a Sportsman MB30? Is it based on mine - Dodge B200 Tradesman, put a pic up? I know about the Sprtsman's they're so cool!! This is my 1977 Dodge B200 Tradesman, it came in from Arizona!!
Old 08-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 482 Posts
I agree with that à inline fuse will work in fact I would use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse.*
Looks like a fun project!
Timbo (08-19-2018)