Wiring harness installation-72 Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring harness installation-72 Charger

I want to rewire my 72 Charger. I am waiting on all my new harnsesses I ordered from year one (m&h wiring). These are oem harnesses "plug and play." I am trying to get an idea of how many hours would be reasonable for a shop to charge for installation of the harnesses. I am replacing all of the harnesses including dash, engine, headlamps, tail lamps, wipers, etc....I don't have a/c, power windows/seats/etc.

Any input is appreciated. I just don't want to get over charged by a shop. I live in Houston if anyone knows of a good place to have it done.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
You have a shop manual? Do it yourself

Most of the connectors on the harness are "unique" especially once the harness is "laid in" properly, most of the connectors simply cannot be hooked up incorrectly.

You have a digi camera? You can buy one cheap. Take lots of photos as you tear it down, and if you are uncomfortable, take a few notes on the SINGLE wire connectors, such as the one going to the lighter, and something like the glove box light, etc

Most of the others, once the harness is in place, simply cannot go anywhere else.

Examples are the turn signal, ignition switch, headlight switch, tail light harness, are all very very different.

The bulkhead connector (firewall) are usually three separate connectors on the engine bay side, and are all three unique. You can NOT screw them up.

Again, in the engine room, take photos, and notes. Some things that might toss you around are again, single connectors, like IF you have electric choke, idle solenoid or the retard solenoid on the distributor

Process of elimination helps. If you have the proper harness for the engine you have (small block vs /6 vs BB/RB) once the ones you CAN identify are laid in and installed. some of the ones you DON'T know will get fewer and fewer

A couple I always manage to "forget" and scratch around a little are the one for the windshield washer, and the one going down below to the brake warning switch.

So again, start with the "obvious." Plug in the wiper, there's one big connector gone. The headlight harness is obvious, one of the longest ones, and has headlight connectors on the far end. So lay it in and get rid of it

Next, the ignition/ engine harness, the ones for the regulator and electronic ignition should be obvious.

Refer to your wiring diagram. The colors for things like oil/ temp sender, and the two (blue and green) going to the alternator field should help get rid of a few.

It CAN be tedious, but dissassembly notes and photos, and a shop manual are invaluable.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
It's a time consuming project if they have to remove or reinstall the dash I have never done it BUT just a guess 10-12 hours maybe more for a first class job..