Vehicles for Sale Whole but do not need to be running

68 GTX clone $17K

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
68 GTX clone $17K

Virtually rust free body that has been painted once. Old couple owned 1968 Plymouth until about 6 years ago, then was bought by the man I got it from. During that time he painted it back the Forest Green factory color, stripped the Satellite chrome and repaired one rust hole in the quarter about the size of a quarter. Currently it has some places where the chrome holes were on the driver's door, and one place on the hood where filler has cracked. Not a show paint job by any stretch of the imagination, but it's more than presentable. The scooped hood has had rust repairs before, along the front edge where the roll is.

.030 440, forged pistons taking it to 10.5-1 compression, 440 source heads, Lunati roller cam, lifters and rockers, forged crank, Weiand WCFB intake and 600 Holley with ceramic coated headers. Engine has maybe 2000 miles on it since rebuild. About the same on the tranny. 4 core aluminum radiator, and many many new parts not listed here. Aftermarket/dealer add on A/C that works great installed. P/S, disc brakes not powered, 2800 stall, 727 tranny, 3.23 gears. Aluminum slots, BFG tires w 275/60-15's on the rear. Oversize front torsion bars, and front and rear sway bars.

Has power leather truck seats in it, along with a console from a '65, gauges installed in dash. Door panels are correct GTX panels but are weak as is dash panel with GTX emblem. 150 mph speedo installed so mileage reading is not correct. Runs and drives great, I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country today. I have more pictures if you'd like, and would be willing to take any that would make you feel better, heck we could even go for a video drive.

Seller Phone Number: 740 894 0840
Seller Phone Number2: (304) 544-3454

Name:  GTX68low.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  167.0 KB
Old 06-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Mopar Lover

Still available

Money is important, but a partial trade might be accepted. I wouldn't be selling this now if it wasn't for taxes and medical bills that popped up with out warning, I hate to do it, but immediate sale would give me breathing room. If I make it thru the squeeze without selling it, it won't be sold. Projects will be considered, but I'm not looking for a daily driver type vehicle, just something that may interest me.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Mopar Lover

I also need to add that I have a 70 Corvette for sale in other sights, and should it sell first, this car will no longer be for sale
Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Sell the chevy and keep the mopar.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by bremereric
Sell the chevy and keep the mopar.
Believe me Ric, that's what I'm hoping happens!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Mopar Lover

Just a short video walk around of the Plymouth and starting it up . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijKzj...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Mopar Lover

Does anyone have any idea why I'm not getting a response, either here or on any other sight? IS there something terribly wrong, too cheap, too expensive, what's scaring people off. And you're not going to hurt my feelings with your comments, let them fly.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Economy is bad everywhere
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Nice Car Buck.... My Buddy just sold his Barracuda S after 2 1/2 years of trying to find a buyer for it... IT will come, when it's ment to be...
Wish I had the money. I would love to have that on my stable...
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
WHAT happened to the hood ? A big hail storm ? would make me suspect the rest of the car ??
Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Mopar Lover

Nope, the hood came from another car, had rust along the front edge and a large dent in that area. When I repaired the rust and tried to take the dent out, it had stretched the metal so much all I could do was try to shrink it back some by doing all the little dimples in there. The metal got work hardened in that area, and really needs to be stripped in that area, then use heat and cold to shrink the metal back to where it should be. At the time I put the hood on, I'd planned to re-do the whole car in a few years, so I short cut on the hood just to get by until I did paint the car. Opening and closing the hood flexes it enough that the filler has cracked. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/8th" thick in that area.

It's not that it's a terrible paint job, it's just that the guy who painted it left some little wavers in the body that had accumulated over the years, and told me he thought it was "factory" dents. I wanted it laser straight, and with the other projects I had going, I didn't want to do it at that time.

Thanks for that TVLynn, at least it gives me a chance to answer what might be in other people's mind.

Thanks Racer, hopefully I'll have my head above water enough in that length of time that I won't have to sell the car. If I can get these medical bills taken care of before it happens, the car won't be for sale. I really don't WANT to sell it now, it's a case of need to.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Mopar Lover

And ya know, I coulda fixed at the hood, then painted a couple of flat black stripes like the '69 has, and at most people woulda thought I was an idiot for putting 69 stripes on a '68, but I didn't want to do that. I want anyone who gets this car to know what's there, not hide it and let them get down the road and find out. I can't do that, know something's wrong and not say anything about it, so the crack is still there, at least until I know what the future brings.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Mopar Lover

The plan right now is to take the car to the Mopar Nats this weekend, which should result in a sale, but if someone wants it and can save me that 3 hour drive, I can make one heck of a deal just so I won't have to suffer for a week recovering from making the trip.If you're interested in the car, this is the time to contact me, I'm motivated lol
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Mopar Lover

Drove to the Nats, was chased for 30 miles or so near Lancaster OH, on the back roads. Guy who stopped me was a serious Chevy fan, but was really interested cause he'd followed me that far, with the way I was driving, and he didn't see any smoke, signs of overheating or anything negative. He said he was totally amazed at how well it handled on the road, thru the curves etc, and he just HAD To check it out. He did a very thorough inspection of the car, and gave me his "Lemme talk to the wife and get back to you". Never heard from him again, but it was exciting while it lasted, and he kept telling me I needed to raise the price it was too cheap. Naw, I don't buy that.

Got to the Nats too late and could only get a parking space way in the back of lot E, so it wasn't seen too much, and one gent and his son who saw the pics hanging on my back was SUPER interested, up to them running to catch me, until they heard me tell them it was a clone. Guess I'll always just build them the way I want to build them, heck with the numbers. I'd rather drive it than sit and check numbers, somewhere the adrenalin seems to be lacking while looking at the numbers.

So.... still available if anyone's interested. I guess if a 69 RR with no quarters, floors or trunk floor, no interior, 383 car with a bare 440 block and no tranny sold for $6500, I can't be too far off on price.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNeccid
Drove to the Nats, was chased for 30 miles or so near Lancaster OH, on the back roads. Guy who stopped me was a serious Chevy fan, but was really interested cause he'd followed me that far, with the way I was driving, and he didn't see any smoke, signs of overheating or anything negative. He said he was totally amazed at how well it handled on the road, thru the curves etc, and he just HAD To check it out. He did a very thorough inspection of the car, and gave me his "Lemme talk to the wife and get back to you". Never heard from him again, but it was exciting while it lasted, and he kept telling me I needed to raise the price it was too cheap. Naw, I don't buy that.

Got to the Nats too late and could only get a parking space way in the back of lot E, so it wasn't seen too much, and one gent and his son who saw the pics hanging on my back was SUPER interested, up to them running to catch me, until they heard me tell them it was a clone. Guess I'll always just build them the way I want to build them, heck with the numbers. I'd rather drive it than sit and check numbers, somewhere the adrenalin seems to be lacking while looking at the numbers.

So.... still available if anyone's interested. I guess if a 69 RR with no quarters, floors or trunk floor, no interior, 383 car with a bare 440 block and no tranny sold for $6500, I can't be too far off on price.
Buck,

Like the people who have chased you down have witnessed; you have a sweet car! Overall its pretty clean and if this economy wasn't suffering in general I think you'd have sold the car by now. For comparison, it took me just over 2 years to sell my 1969 GTO (non numbers matching) for what I felt was a fair price! Actually, I only sold it because I took a trade and . The trade was worth 90% of the car and the other 10% was . I turned around and within 30 days sold the trade and ended up getting the exact amount what I was asking. Sometimes one has to be creative to make a sale in these times LOL

In my honest opinion I think a price reduction may help with the sale, if you really need to sell, otherwise keep the KEWL car! There are some similar looking RR's & GTX's that can be had for around $17k (non numbers matching).

Just wanted to be objective to a fellow Moparian

Lastly, remove those butts from the ashtray!!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Wish I had the change... Id love to run the wheels off it....
Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 AM
Mopar Lover

LOL Inri, I didn't even notice the butts, but when I did the vid, it was like I said, I wasn't gonna clean the car to try and hide anything, it is as it is everyday. I drive the car and that's just a little more proof.

I've had a few trade/boot offers, and one who went so far as to say he'd be here to do the trade and pick it up, after pestering me to trade him for over a month, and now I've not heard from him for a week. I've also had some really big offers of trade, but they don't help me in the immediate moment. A partial trade I can live with and am open to.

I'll agree with you on the price, but the only reason I have it that high is the rash of people who watch Gas Monkey and American Pickers and think no matter what the asking price is, you have to make an offer of half that. You would not believe how many offers I've had of $7-8K, and if that isn't taken, they just hang up. Yea it's negotiable, for sure, and I figured most people will know that. Like someone noted somewhere, the price on the windshield in the video shows $15K, and that's even negotiable. In all honesty, I have somewhere between $19 and $24K in it, and I know I'm gonna lose my butt, but that's not what this is all about.

The biggest negative I've heard is that it's not all original. You can change almost everything on the car, as long as it stays original (?). It'd be ok to have suspension changed engine changed, interior changed,etc, and still be original, but since it's a clone, they don't want it (Scratching my head over that one still). And it's been more than 3 people who have said almost that exact thing.

Me... I figure if I can't have Jennifer Anniston, I'll take her twin sister who's had a boob job and has freckles, even if her name is Julie. She'd be at least as much fun to be with and it isn't my intention to sit her in the corner and show off her birth certificate.

I appreciate your feedback Inri, most is things I've thought myself, and ya know what they say, the smartest person out there agrees with you lol.

Last edited by BuckNeccid; 08-21-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Mopar Lover

I was thinking yesterday as I was driving the car, I've probably concentrated too much on making sure people knew of any defects I know of. The trigger for that thought was just thinking how smooth, solid, strong and comfortable the ride in the car felt, the numbers of thumbs up I got, and just the general love for the car.

The problem now is how do you take an ad that gave negative feelings from the start, and get across just how really nice this car is? Sheeesh.. I bought a '68 GTX back in '74 that has less than 2000 miles on it (the original owner didn't come home, verified that thru the TN DMV) and this car is way smoother, stronger, etc than the original car was. That was my first GTX, and it started the love I have for those cars today, so saying ANYTHING is better than the memories I had of that car is almost a sacrilege. I guess when you replace almost everything that can be replaced with new parts, and minimum specs were what would be offered stock, with most being replaced with an optional better item, you should expect it to be better than new or original.

Didn't really have an answer as to how you could update the listing, so I just turned up the A/C, cranked the radio some listening to "Radar Love", and applied more pedal pressure, just enjoying the drive and the way the car handles. Curves marked w/ 35mph speed restrictions were being taken at 60, with little to no body roll, no diving nose when you hit the brakes and a smoothness that's hard to believe. Heck I may make it thru this period of need and not need to sell it after all, lol
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Mopar Lover

Sold
Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Congrats Buck. Hope you got what you were asking, very nice car for a more than fair price. I don't understand why it took so long but I guess everybody is broke these days. I sure wish you would have sold the vet first, so you could've kept the Mopar. At least now you can pay off them pesky bills. Good Luck to you and hope you find another Mopar soon.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Thanks Bee. I got enough to let it go, but it was still less than half what I had in it. I'm pretty sure the new owner is gonna be happy when he sees it, but once he starts driving it, there's gonna be a day when he realizes just how much car he got for the money, and just how smooth, solid straight and right this car actually is, and he's gonna get a little smile on his face cause he gambled and he won. I've had 8 GTX's registered and driving over the years, the first one had only 1200 miles on it when I got it, and of all of them, this has been the best one yet. Too bad it's only a clone...

I'm pretty sure that I just made the car sound way worse than it actually is cause I don't want someone thinking they are coming to get a car ready to win the Riddler, and be disappointed, I'd rather they think it's junk, then get a pleasant surprise when they actually see the car.

Was I fair in my evaluation, and honest in my description? Yes, like I said, I tried to make sure all flaws were covered. Something that might have swayed people to grab the car faster was if I had started bragging that I've had 3 cars on the cover of car magazines, and one of those was voted "Cover Car of the year". This one isn't too far off from that quality, but that wouldn't be fair, it would have been from reputation instead of judging the car.

Just showing off now, the Plymouth came from the same place as these cars

Name:  205928_10150264555519526_507739525_7366973_683442_n-Copy_zps13611694.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  redcover001_zpsf9dac3a4.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  71.7 KB