Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   A-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   74 Scamp, fuel gauge doesn't work...sending unit? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/74-scamp-fuel-gauge-doesnt-work-sending-unit-2758/)

Evnas 04-10-2009 11:43 PM

74 Scamp, fuel gauge doesn't work...sending unit?

I bought up the car yesterday, and the fuel gauge doesn't work (which I knew when I bought it). The previous owner says he already tested the gauge itself and said it works, so I'm thinking maybe the sending unit is bad (stuck float, etc).

Is there an "easy access" opening inside the car to get to the sending unit, or am I going to have to drop the whole tank to access it? Also, how can I tell exactly which sending unit I have to make sure I order the right one (if it's needed)? I've been checking out ManciniRacing.com (so far they seem to have the best selection of parts that I can find) and there are a few options.

I also have a question about rear axle bearings. They are making noise so it's time to replace em, but I've never done em before. My extent of automotive knowledge is limited to front drive Volkswagens. Is there any easy way to tell which are the right ones to order for the Scamp? (ie: an easy way to tell if I need the 9 1/4 or 8 3/4, etc)

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice you have to offer to a new Mopar guy, even if they happen to be off the immediate topic :)

67 GTX 04-11-2009 07:55 AM

an 8 3/4 rear end has a welded on back peice on the rear

theomahamoparguy 04-11-2009 04:29 PM

I think your gonna have to drop the tank to get the sending unit out.
You can get a new tank through many outlets, yearone sells them.
You can also get the new straps and sending unit. I think all the A-body gas tanks from 1971 to 1976 are the same. I changed mine on my duster cause of all the rust and sedimentation {1 1/2 inches thick}. I think the new tanks cost about $250 . Yearone has the sending units, FD169 part number, priced at $119.

As far as the rear end goes ill bet you have a 7 1/4 rear end. The 7 1/4 rear end has a rear cover on it with nine (9) bolts around the perimeter.
So if you peak your head under the rear bumper and see a cover on the rear end with nine bolts its a 7 1/4. You may have the 8 1/4 rear as the only other option that year in your car, It has ten(10) bolts and is more rounded on the rear cover, and the perimeter is more of a diamond shape.
[kind of like a square standing on its corner]

9 1/4 did not come in a A-Body {like your scamp}

Evnas 04-11-2009 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by theomahamoparguy (Post 17230)
As far as the rear end goes ill bet you have a 7 1/4 rear end. The 7 1/4 rear end has a rear cover on it with nine (9) bolts around the perimeter.
So if you peak your head under the rear bumper and see a cover on the rear end with nine bolts its a 7 1/4. You may have the 8 1/4 rear as the only other option that year in your car, It has ten(10) bolts and is more rounded on the rear cover, and the perimeter is more of a diamond shape.
[kind of like a square standing on its corner]

9 1/4 did not come in a A-Body {like your scamp}

Great descriptions...but it doesn't fit either one! lol

It has 10 bolts, but the perimeter is round (not diamond shaped at all).

Lets try this...name that diff!

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2483/p1000459.th.jpg

78D200 04-12-2009 05:36 AM

That looks like a dana 35 (lol). Are there any tags or stampings that you can pull from it?

I'm thinking its a 8 1/4.

Commando 04-12-2009 06:15 AM

I believe that is an 8 1/4. I know I have seen enough of them as out the last three claimed 9 1/4s two turned out to be 8 1/4s.

If you want to confirm this there is a part number on the side of the diff.

theomahamoparguy 04-12-2009 08:44 AM

yes it is an 8 1/4. sorry I confused you. I was thinking of the mounting surface for the cover. [ I think it looks a little diamond shaped.] The 9 1/4 is the one that has a diamond shape for sure [sort of, like with the corners trimmed a bit].

Anyway, congrats on the scamp and you shouldn't have to worry too much about that 8 1/4. The axles have circlip retainers, meaning youll have to remove the cover and remove the clips to remove the axles. After that you can take it down to the NAPA or someplace that has a press and have them press on your new axle bearings and seals. They are held on with a pressed on collar.

78D200 04-12-2009 09:37 AM

I know for a fact that the 9 1/4 and 8 1/4 that chusler made in the late 80s to now are diamond shaped.

richinny 04-12-2009 06:13 PM

ok guys, pin the tail on the gasket........

http://www.drivetrain.com/images/sto...kets_large.jpg