any help please weird wiring??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question any help please weird wiring??

I have just recently purchased a 75 dart 225.the car runs good when you can get it to start.sometimes it will have power to the coil and sometimes it wont.i keep having issues with getting power to my coil for start up,run is fullpower no probs.I do think i may traced my issue to the starter interlock system. i looked up how to bypass the system and was goin to attempt to bypass the system.before doing any disconnects i went around and checked all my connections for power.this time when i checked i had 10 volts at the coil in run postion and in start postion i had 8.95 volts at the postive side of the coil.now here were it gets weird i noticed in the on position the distrib is making a almost alarm sound it reminds me of the england police siren sound and you can unhook the wire to the distrib and it quits.also while this is goin on the coil plug wire will shock you if touched(car not running just switch turn on)while touched this will change the sound the distrb makes???does any one have any ideas or clues at this point any advise is great.also were is the starter interlock relay located i know it under the hood somewere,it should have one black ground clip and two yellow wire and a brown in a clip.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I don't think the car will crank if the interlock is bad or tripped. To bypass it, jumper the two "yellowish" wires. The relay interrupts the "crank" signal from the ignition switch to the start relay on the firewall.

The resistor bypass circuit for a hot spark during crank (on Mopars) is a separate set of contacts in the ignition switch. Normally, "ignition run" is dark blue, and the bypass circuit is brown. It should be close to battery voltage when in "crank."
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 AM

Question

thanks thats great.do you have any idea why my distrib is making that alarm sound and why the coil wirewill shock you if you touch it(car not runnin).any help would be great i think i might have volt spikin somewere.when i tested the postive side of the coil in run postion im bounce from 9 volts to 10 volts and any were in between??im just bout stumped im start to think i need a new wiring harness not cheap lol
Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Re the distributor "buzz" I have no idea. What I would try is to pull loose the wire supplying power from the ignition switch, and "clip lead" power to the ignition system directly from the battery.

That way you have a direct line to the battery. That action would at least isolate the problem "in half" I.E. is it something going on actually in the ignition, or is there something like a bad?? connection coming from the power supply end of things.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Question

man im so sorry if you could go in a lil detail in that direct power that would be great.by far wiring is my weakest strong point.and no the distrib is not buzzing it like an alarm sound reminds me of the british police cars siren.what im goin to do is im goin to record the sound on my phone and ill post it later.also i think it a bad connection or ground somewere cause the ignition componets all work it will start.just some times it wont i lose power to my coil during cranking.but i can keep cranking and eventullay it will get power and start.and somes times you will crank and it fires first lick.im so lost i have wiring diagrams and all that.i was think bout just re runinig new wire from my ignition crank side to the coil that should elimate my prob i think.also that coil plug wire should not be shocking me with the car not run.i can grab the coil plug wire around the insulation with the switch in the run postion car not running and it will shock me this is also when the dist makes it sound also when you grab the wire it makes the coil sound change. any idea ill have that sound posted soon
Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 AM

Exclamation

so sorry it my coil making the sound not the dist.when you take the coil plug wire off it almost stops the sound when you un hook the dist it kills the sound completly.but with all hooked up and switch in on postion the coil is goin de de de de de de de de de de de de.over and over sorry my phone would not pick up the sound
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM

could the ecm be causing the sound thru my coil
Old 02-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Mopar Lover

I don't have any ideas on the ignition noise. Sometimes regulated power supplies can go into an oscillation, maybe something like that is happening here.

What I was trying to get you to do is unhook the power supply from the key and wire up the ignition temporarily with a separate wire directly to the battery. This might help cut the problem from "ignition system" on one side and "wiring and switch" on the the other side.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM

thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a schematic? Do you need one?