Help! Dart wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Dart wont start

Hey guys so, i went to go for my friday night drive and click thats the only noise it has made since, i put it on the charger for a hour or two and the click is coming fromt the starter drive engaging the flywheel i think but nothin. lights come on and i have now put my other cars battery in and nothin still i have a new starter in the car already and the funny thing is i drove it yesterday no problems at all! i dont get it, im letting it trickle chargeon the other cars battery because the lights were a little dim for another hour and going to try again but i know its the starter motor making the clank. please help any input is appreciated

Just went out and took a test light its all i have i do not have a volt meter, the power wire to the starter is getting power and the coil is and the ballast resistor is as well

Last edited by mytracy; 02-04-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Try Jumping the solinoid with a screw driver.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Mopar Fan

thanks for such a quick reply,where would that be located? im new to mopars
Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Try jumping the starter relay.

It should be on the fender well or firewall and should look something like in this picture.

Just use the end of a wrench or screwdriver to make the connection of the stud/nut to the other connector and the starter should engage.
Don't worry, you wont get shocked!
Attached Thumbnails Help! Dart wont start-starter-relay.jpg  
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks i just went out and tried it and man it had scared me when i saw the sparks i jumped like three feet in the air but I heard it engage. but i also took a test light to it and it like did not even barely light up. could this be a bad connector? and thus causing it not to turn over
Old 02-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Mopar Lover

If it engaged when you jumped it, then the problem is from the ignition switch (key) on down to that relay.

When it engaged.... Did the engine crank? Like it wanted to start?

If it did....
It may be your gearshift linkage isn't closing the neutral/park safety switch. Did you try starting it with the gearshift in neutral? Or, try holding the shifter up tighter into Park.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Mopar Fan

Nah it just engaged the starter, the motor did not crank at all.

But when i was trying to jump it, it was hard to get it to jump posts, i scratched at the metal a little to get it to work. should it have just touched it and worked instead of what i had to do of rubbing the screwdriver to the posts?

ill try the neutral start right now. and holding of the gear shift in park.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Mopar Fan

Just tried the start in neutral and holding the gear shift lever in park and nothing, im so baffled why it would do this
Old 02-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Mopar Lover

Did the starter turn the engine over when you jumped the relay?
If it did, turn the key on.... in Park.... and jump the relay. It should start.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks for your help man i really appreciate it!
when i jumped it all it does is thunk and nothing else, but i went ahead and tried that suggestion key was on in park and still just a thunk of the starter
Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Mopar Lover

You may have a bad starter.... It's probably a rebuilt starter and sometimes they don't last long:-( If it came from Kragen's it should have a warranty and they should give you a new one.

I went through Kragen starters on my other Fury and ended up putting 7 starters on in a one year period. <--- I'm not exaggerating! And it was probably like 9 starters before I got a good one.
Fortunately, they had "Lifetime" warranties so, I only bought the first one.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks silverick! thats a lot of starters you went through, i got the hang of it jumping the post my screw driver had to much rust on it haha but i think the solenoid is good but ill clean up the connectors and stuff, I dont have the receipt for the starter and not sure where it came from but all i was told was it was new, but it lasted 2 months, ill get one from mopar but ill have it towed somewhere to get it fixed i dont have all the tools to change it myself otherwise i would. Ill keep you updated on whats happening with it
Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Mopar Lover

You're welcome and good luck! Make sure you check the starter before you start messing with ANY wiring! Trust me!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Another thing that you could try is to knock on the starter with a hammer. It just may free up.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks man so much! ill try that in a few minutes, i also had my mom sit in the car with the key In twist motion for "starting position" and held it while i tried jumping the starter solenoid and still nothing
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Mopar Fan

She lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, after spending more time had some friends come look at it listen to what nouse it was making had no clue still, Im not good with elctrical what so ever hate the stuff, but anyways called Triple A to tow it to a shop i gave up and i need it to drive not sit, the guy from the triple A truck is old school and says are you sure it wont start and started looking through it and then he said try it now and Bam! it fired right up, i had a bad ground he told me to the starter. Still going through my mind how could that be but i guess it can happen over night like that after being fine to drive no problems to the ground failing, so i replaced all my ground connections and problem fixed, all that trouble and i feel dumb now.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Yay!!