new guy needs some buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy needs some buying advice...68 dart

What's up guys?

Newbie here. Been around cars for a long time but never was big into mopars until recently. I've stumbled across what seems to be a pretty good deal but not being an expert I'd like to see what you guys think. I had a long conversation with the current owner and he seems like a good guy, so I don't expect many surprises when I go to look at the car this weekend.

Here's the breakdown according to what I asked the owner today:

68 Dart, originally a slant 6/automatic

Engine: Replaced with a 318 out of a 72 charger. Has 340 heads, 340 intake and 340 cam, hooker headers. Needs to be tuned, owner thinks just the carb. He does not remember exactly where the heads came from nor if they've had any work done (valve seats, decking etc.) but they're definitely 340 heads. He thinks they came off another 318 car. Pistons are stock, which leads me to believe that the compression is likely too low giving the impression it needs a tune up. He did say he had the motor apart and had a pro check the spec on the pistons/rings/cylinders for wear and everything tested out fine.

Trans: Replaced with a 4 speed OD out of what the owner thinks was a van, unsure. All the pedals and such came out of another car. Brand new clutch on the car. Owner says shift linkage needs to be adjusted/tightened.

Rear: rebuilt 8-3/4" with new bearings and a 3.23 posi

Suspension: Original to my knowledge.

Brakes: Valiant front disc conversion brand new pads and rotors, drums out back. Needs a parking brake cable.

Body: Currently in primer, had creases on both sides pulled out and bondoed, epoxy primer over top. Needs blocking and paint. Small holes behind rear wheel wells.

Structure: Post car, some surface rust on the underbody, frame is rust free, front floor pans have been replaced with NOS pans, rear pans are fine, trunk pan has been patched due to a pinhole.

Car runs/drives/stops and only needs a few things to be finished enough for the road according to the owner.

What do you guys think? I know it's hard to say without pictures, but I don't have any myself yet. Seller is asking $4k but is looking to move it quick before a cross country move, so I might be able to get it even cheaper.

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me and look forward to learning more here.

Cheers!

Last edited by jcat; 05-09-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
My opinion is be real careful its very hard to see dents and body imperfections in primer. I was told if a car is in primer leave it alone unless its a steal. Only say that from experience. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
which carb on it?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moe7404
which carb on it?
Hey pro-tech, thanks for the advice. That's something that was imparted on me by my dad and grandfather years ago, for sure. I'll be bringing a magnet and will go over it with a fine tooth comb. The kid is moving across country for school and trying to unload it, so it seems to me a project he just never got around to finishing up.

Moe7404, that I don't know. I did mean to ask him that but forgot. I also forgot to add that it has the 340 intake, which may be obvious given it's got a 340 head swap.