71 charger restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
71 charger restoration

Hello all, this is a general question and probably pretty open. Anyways I just purchased a 71 charger to restore. Motor is bad but I have my hands on a 440 and trans. The plan as of now is to pull bad motor. Take car to paint shop as I clean and paint the 440. I want this to be a street car to drive to shows, etc. any info on rebuilds for the 440? I’d love to inevitably have the 6pak but as far as cam size, heads, etc. also any tips on the restoration in general?? This is my first go at it. I want to do most of it myself with my kids so they can be involved. Thanks for any advice or info.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:00 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
ns -

Welcome.
Yeah, it's a very open-ended question, and here's a lot of stuff on the net, you just have to be careful about what you'll end up with (and how much you want to use the car).
A good local machine shop (who knows Mopars) might be your best friend in this case.
Odds are some milling and boring might be necessary, and doubt you have the equipment for that.

In general:
Keep it mild. Cam UNDER 500 lift and UNDER 300 duration; compression (new pistons) UNDER 10:1, unless you plan on a lot of racing the stock heads are fine (with a good valve job and a little porting.
Except for "shows", forget the Six-back; a single 4V Holley (about 750) and a good dual plane manifold, like the Eddy Performer RPM will give better performance and easier maintenance.
Upgrade to a NEW Mopar electronic ignition. You don't need anything fancy.
Suspension probably needs a full over haul, and companies like Firmfeel, will bring the handling up to date, while maintaining a "stock" appearance.

Anyway, that's a 3000' view, keep us posted.

Archer
Old 07-16-2021, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Archer
ns -

Welcome.
Yeah, it's a very open-ended question, and here's a lot of stuff on the net, you just have to be careful about what you'll end up with (and how much you want to use the car).
A good local machine shop (who knows Mopars) might be your best friend in this case.
Odds are some milling and boring might be necessary, and doubt you have the equipment for that.

In general:
Keep it mild. Cam UNDER 500 lift and UNDER 300 duration; compression (new pistons) UNDER 10:1, unless you plan on a lot of racing the stock heads are fine (with a good valve job and a little porting.
Except for "shows", forget the Six-back; a single 4V Holley (about 750) and a good dual plane manifold, like the Eddy Performer RPM will give better performance and easier maintenance.
Upgrade to a NEW Mopar electronic ignition. You don't need anything fancy.
Suspension probably needs a full over haul, and companies like Firmfeel, will bring the handling up to date, while maintaining a "stock" appearance.

Anyway, that's a 3000' view, keep us posted.

Archer
perfect. This is some of the things I’m looking for, good to know. Suspension never even crossed my mind but something definitely to look into. This is a fairly long project I’ll tinker with over the next couple years.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:17 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
I agree.. Keep it basic... Paint and body seals.... Suspension rebuild..... Basic engine and trans overhaul's.... Interior overhaul at the end.. and a good sound system to top it off.... Should be a nice cruiser for you and the family to go out in and then pass down to the kids later......
Keep us posted on the build... Cheers...
Old 07-18-2021, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by RacerHog
I agree.. Keep it basic... Paint and body seals.... Suspension rebuild..... Basic engine and trans overhaul's.... Interior overhaul at the end.. and a good sound system to top it off.... Should be a nice cruiser for you and the family to go out in and then pass down to the kids later......
Keep us posted on the build... Cheers...
perfect. Thanks for the reply. Any info or advice on where to buy things? I’d like to get it as original as possible(outside of the colors) I know I need all new interior, door trim, seats, headliner, etc. I’ve seen a few websites but unsure if there’s a specific one that would be best.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Bob -

and a good sound system to top it off
You mean headers, right?

ns

AMD has a lot of body parts, engines stuff should really go through your machinist and Year One has some of the interior stuff, as well and the AMD parts.
EBay can be your friend, as there are a lot of guys doing re-pops these days, as well os good used stuff.

Archer
Old 07-19-2021, 06:59 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
Bob -

Quote:
and a good sound system to top it off
You mean headers, right?

LOL.... Archer.....No