Manual 3speed floor shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual 3speed floor shifter

Hello,

I have a 1977 Dodge D100 truck. The previous owner moved the manual three on the tree (no overdrive) to the floor with a Hurst floor 3 speed, but it obviously wasn't the correct unit. First gear is down, second is down, and third is up. And it shifts terribly. My mechanic said the previous owner bent things to "work."

Do you have any suggestions on how best to fix this issue? I contacted Lokar and Hurst and they both said they don't have anything that will work. Is there a manual three speed shifter unit that is compatible on these trucks that originally had a 3speed manual on the column? Or is there some adapter kit that I can inform my mechanic about that will fix this problem?

Thank you!
Old 07-28-2021, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor shifter

Hello,

I know I am late to the party, but I just stumbled upon the answer to your question right now (right before I read your post). Apparently the factory three speeds on the floor had a larger transmission hump. I recently installed a new clutch in my 1972 D100 2WD, and have had the same issue. My friend (a masterful Chevy mechanic) just helped me put a new clutch in it and took a look. He said it looks like they put the plates where the shifter linkages attach to the transmission in upside down (they may have been like that already for the column shifter - I don’t know) to gain some space. There was not enough room to flip them. When I was looking at carpet tonight, I noticed that there is a separate carpet for the larger transmission hump for the factory 3-speed on the floor. That answered my question. Now, I just have to decide whether it is important enough to cut out the hump and weld a larger one in, or if I can live with it. Have a good day!

Pooh