First adventure in the new GTX

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First adventure in the new GTX

So, I bought this 67 GTX about a month and a half ago. Mostly every time I drove it, I would get an "occassoinal" smell of something burning, but it would come and go so I thought nothing of it. Guy that owned it before me didn't drive it much the past few years so I figured it was just kinda re-breaking in all the moving and heating up parts...The last time I drove it, it smelled off and on as usual, maybe a bit more because I took it for a nice long four hour back road drive. I had both my kids strapped in the back of the car in their car seats, they had a great time. I got home and noticed that my headlights were on. I hadn't turned them on, but they were on high beams and I couldn't turn them off. I unhooked the battery and took the car that week to my trusted (the best) mechanic in town. He laughed and talked about how the bulkhead connector on the firewall is a known PIA and the problem probably was in there. He tinkered with the high beam switch for a few minutes but couldn't find the problem. He asked me to leave it and told me it was probably some gunk on the bulkhead connectoe. Well, this week he took the connector off and noticed that my entire dash harness was melted and I (and my kids) are pretty lucky to be alive and that the headlights not turning off was a warning from up above, otherwise I would have kept driving it as usual. Pretty freaky. I rebuilt my Mustang (with this mechanic) top to bottom and replaced all wear and tear parts, did a disk brake upgrade, put seatbelts in etc. Reminds me that its not a bad thing to look these cars over in their entirety and not to worry about originality of any part that is a safety issue if you plan on driving it vs. a show class car. My neighbor has a cherry original 67 Vette and this past summer his brakes went to the floor and he smashed into the back of a mini van, luckily at low speeds. He's a "keep it all original" guy, course his car had original paint, and I stress "HAD" original paint..Thoughts?

Last edited by muggsy; 10-18-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i hope your running an oil with zinc in it
i'd hate to see a GTX's motor blow