Hello just finished the restoration of my 1965 Satellite and am new here.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello just finished the restoration of my 1965 Satellite and am new here.

Hello, my name is Tom I used to race at Banshee RD, and Hall Street back in the early 70's in st louis. I had a 440 6pack motor out of a charger with an edlebrock highrise, Holley 850CFM carb, $900 worth of headwork. back in 1971 I ran a 12.35 at gateway on bias ply tires on a mallory dual points dist, through a stock tq converter. And my car looked like this:

Well, the car got wrecked and a week after I found another 65 satellite with the same interior and factory ac, I Drove it around til 77' and parked it until 1997 when I started restoring the car. Back in 83', when my son Ryan was born, I stripped the wrecked car and stored all those parts so I had basically two of everything in near mint condition. So after 10 years, of working on it on weekends and taking my time and doing everything right (I even sandblasted the entire bottom of the car in my garage in suburbia and POR-15'd it) I had the car on a rotisory[sp] so I could rotate the car on its axis 360 degrees to get to everything. Well last weekend the monster mopar finally started up. and the car was finished. heres a video and some pictures I took tonite. enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_KJcUbUKY

heres the video of the first startup last weekend. the one of it idling a few days ago will be up shortly.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 PM

Old 02-25-2007, 11:22 PM

The car is 75-80% original. The interior is 98% original, the only things that are new are the carpet,and the headliner. everything else, untouched. The car is a factory a/c car. The motor is not stock. it started out as a 68' 383HO. the block is the only really stock part and it was bored over .30" and decked .08" the crank & rods are balanced, w/forged pistons and a 3/4 race cam, the heads are off a 85' 400ci. So it can run unleaded gas, I port matched and polished the heads, and had oversized valves installed (see pic) just to let you know how much larger, the small valve in the pic was the same size as the original large valve. The head was also decked .08" with a edlebroc performer, dual plane highrise, with a Holley 850cfm dual line dual pumper 4bbl sitting on top, Factory Mopar performance cast iron headers (from 426 Max Wedge), to a 2.5" mandrel bent tti crossover dual exhaust. 2300rpm stall through a 727 cable drive 3spd automatic with shift kit and mopar performance clutchs and bands, and finally through an original 3.23 posi rear end.

My son Ryan grew up around muscle cars, He loves mopars, and this car is, in Ryans case, a lifetime comming. He's seen this car all his life, and he and my son Brett have helped me to restore my car for the last 10 years. (Note from Ryan)"Trust me when i say pictures do not do this car justice. You are speechless when you hear this thing try and idle. You cant belive that the interior is all original and 42+yrs old. My dad did not rush anything he did everything right and payed attention to every detail. He even sandblasted and POR-15'd every nut and bolt, then painted it the correct color."
Old 02-25-2007, 11:23 PM

There are a few little finishing touches, and some fine tuning but shes mostly done. He has a factory accurate Mopar Battery comming for it, he still has to run the a/c lines, and adjust the tranny kickdown, and cable. Timing and fuel all still need to be fine tuned as right now as it spues raw fuel from the tail pipes. But hes already got 34miles on it, and plans to put plenty more on it. The only reason he went so factory and era accurate was he had soo many of the original parts that he could. The car will be shown, and will be at the easter car show in st louis this year, but it wasnt restored to show, he restored it to drive it. Obviously in optimal weather lets not go insane. but this car will be driven not trailered, my dad allways said if you ever saw his car on a trailer, call the cops! its being stolen, lol

Hope you all enjoy
Old 02-26-2007, 05:31 PM

well thank you, i keep hearing of stories of him racing way back when. and honestly i think i was born in the wrong era, lol. Will you be at the Easter Car Show?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow! That is a great restoration!!! That is going to be a great car to drive around to car shows and just to show off. Ever gona take it down the 1/4 mile?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Im sure he will but look closer at the rear tires. those arent reporduction bias ply.. .those are 35+yr old original bias play tires. 14x5.5" rims. so it will be nothing but a smoke show through the 1/8. he will have to get something for traction before that happens.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 PM

this is when i had car on a spit in my garage in suburbia.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 PM

Yes, I cut the top rear corner and added two aluminum braces to hold the weight. Tom.