i need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need help

Hi im restoring a 1973 Plymouth satellite, i had to get new keys for everything. when i was installing the trunk tumbler i had to take off the latch in order to tighten the tumbler in place. but after i put on the latch and tightened it up, i closed the trunk not realizing it had to be adjusted and closed it. and now i can no longer get it opened. no i have to remove the back seats in order to get into the trunk. there's these 2 red latches on of them was already removed when i got the car but the other one is still hooked, i tried everything to get it off but it wont budge. how do you remove the back seat.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well on the bottom, you push down on the front of the seat and backwards then up, supposedly it will release. (it can be a major pain in the ***).
for the top of the seat, (the seat back) if I remember correctly, there are bolts at the bottom. REmove the bolts and lift up on the seat back. (might have to push in on the top also). I have not heard of latches unless this is maybe a fold down seat that opens into the trunk. (or someone has added them)
Old 03-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to start with the lower seat first. At the front of the back seat (closest to the drivers seat) push down firmly, and then push back (toward the rear of the car), and then lift up. It should come off. There are 2 catches for the lower seat, and they are located roughly below where each person would sit if there were passengers in the back. Your hands should be in these positions when removing the seat.

Once the lower seat is removed, you'll see 2 bolts (one on each side) which hold the upper rear seat in place. Remove the bolts, and lift the seat up.

There will be a cross brace behind the back seat, so reaching far into the trunk may be difficult. If you've ever wondered by Snap-On makes those 3 foot long extensions for their socket sets, now you know. You can reach the latch with a long extension (or several short extensions attached together) and the correct size socket.

If you want to do something nifty, get an electronic trunk latch out of an old Dodge/Plymouth police car. It uses only one wire, and will bolt up just like your original latch. You can run the one wire to the glove box, attach it to a powered button switch, and, voila, you can open your trunk without turning off or getting out of your car.