Manual transmission questions, any help appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual transmission questions, any help appreciated.

Forgive my ignorance, but I joined this forum because so many smart people are here! I have what I believe to be a hemi 4spd with a 23 spline shaft (this is what I was told) this would be an A-833, correct? I read an article that said the 18 spline shafts were used for the 440, max wedge and hemi engines and the 23 spline was for the 400 and lower, is this correct? Now I have a problem. Apparently the nose of my input shaft is only about 1.5 inches long and should be 2.25 or so. This means that only about .125 on an inch goes in to the pilot bearing which is bad. I am thinking that I may need to find a new 23 spline shaft. Will any 23 spline shaft fit without having to change gears and bearings? I know if you want to change to an 18 spline shaft that you have to change gears, bearings, etc. The other option seems to be a place in the end of the crank that looks like it would hold another bearing about 1.810 in diameter and about .625 inches thick. Is this a place where another bearing should go? If so, does anyone know a part number? This A-833 is going behind a 72 440. Again, any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont worry about the length going into the pilot hole. mopar has a roller pilot bearing that fits in the larger crank register. as long as the input shaft fits through the bearing you should be good to go.

In the past, one of the major showstoppers in this conversion was the crankshaft register. Crankshaft registers need to be machined properly to accept the input shaft pilot bushing for the A-833, and a majority of the time, they were only machined to accept the hub of the torque converter for an automatic transmission application, or were only partially machined for the input shaft bushing. Your choices were either to have the crankshaft machined properly, ($$$$) or stick with your automatic. In the case of cast crankshafts, I've heard horror stories of drilling into oil passages when attempting the machine work! (If anyone can verify this, please let me know.) Fortunately, in 1994, Ma Mopar accidentally offered us an alternative- Beginning with the '94 model year, Chrysler began machining the crankshaft registers only in the "Automatic" configuration. Manual transmission applications received a new, needle-type bearing, which fit into a larger bushing that is driven into the torque converter register. The good news is that the torque converter register remained the same size as it has been since the mid-sixties! The bad news is that in most applications, the input shaft will need to be shortened approximately from 1/2-3/4 inches. This is an easy job with a cut-off wheel, but it could diminish the re-sale or trade value of your transmission should you decide to part with it. This part is available at most parts houses. (BCA #FC69907, or Mopar # (53009180AB).
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Mopar Lover

John, any idea on a part number or some way to identify what I need? I saw a bearing that looks like it might be right about 2/3 of the way down the page at http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/trans.html does this look right to you?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Mopar Lover

Nevermind my previous reply. I failed to read the info in the quotes completely. This is exactly what I needed!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you are right about what you said before
the 23 spline was not made for the high performance models such as the 440 and hemi
they got the 18 spline tranny
Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Well, here is the latest episode of the b**ch fighting me. Not only has the shaft been cut, but someone has added a layer of metal to it, so it is .0010 too big to go through that bearing we spoke of earlier. On top of that, the bearing fits loose in the crank, so that will not work. The bearing is something my buddy picked up at the local parts house. I have one coming from mopartsracing.com, maybe they are different and it will fit in the crank, but there is still the size issue. I have decided to try and find an unmolested input shaft and just change it out. I am going to look locally, but I found this item on ebay 140371548139. It is a 23 spline with a 25 tooth gear. Are they all the same? All 23 spline have 25 teeth? I have too much in this trans and clutch to think about changing to an 18 spline at this time, but it will be on the "to do" list. Suggestions???
Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wouldn't feeak out until you try the mopar bearing - there is a good chance the aftermarket bearing coulb be totally wrong, hence the out of wack id and od's
Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Mopar Lover

I really hope you are right on that. Life would be so much easier if you were. That bearing will be here Saturday or Monday, so I will know soon.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Mopar Lover

Ok, here's the deal. I found a supplier for the input shaft (and many other A-833 trandmission parts) http://tbtrans.com/id6.htm I ordered the 23 spline shaft with 24 teeth and a new gasket set for a total if $122 plus shipping and had it drop shipped to my buddy's place. I also got the Mopar bearing in the mail today, so one way or the other I'm gonna get this byoch together. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes. I hope to be driving the car in less than a month......or two.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Ok, here's the deal. I found a supplier for the input shaft (and many other A-833 trandmission parts) http://tbtrans.com/id6.htm I ordered the 23 spline shaft with 24 teeth and a new gasket set for a total if $122 plus shipping and had it drop shipped to my buddy's place. I also got the Mopar bearing in the mail today, so one way or the other I'm gonna get this byoch together. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes. I hope to be driving the car in less than a month......or two.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Sorry about posting twice, but lately when I hit submit, it just goes off to nowhere and I am not sure my post went through.