Super Bird Clone questions future project

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:04 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Hey Brad. Just read all the posts from 11-09 thru today.. You made one statement in your first post and that was you are dedicated.. That my friend is an understatement.... I'm now about 90% complete with a project that I first got involved in back in August of 08.. But I do see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope its not the train... But good luck to you with your project and keep us posted on your progress... Just remember it will take longer than you plan and cost more than you want to spend... Just the way car projects go........ Look forward to seeing your progress......
Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats
Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 PM

Hi gang,

Spent the last few hours cleaning these with soap and water, to clean all the rat "juices" off them as it was stored outside in a barn, box open and the barn had no door. I let everything dry, and then placed each part in its own zip lock bag. Put a lot of time in care of packing everything correctly giving it the respect it deserved.

I was delighted to find extra parts in the box. I took a complete inventory and here’s what is missing

1 marking light holder

Now for the Extra parts!
Fender scoops for both fenders!
Outer hood extension!

Here’s some pictures of my inventory.

Guy wanted $5500 for this front end 6 months ago, he then dropped down to $4500 5 months ago. I saw the listed 3 months ago for $3500. That's when I contacted him. I beat him down to $2500. He was unable to provide pictures, and it was around this time I priced everything out and felt I should avoid doing this project do to the costs. Which brings us to last week.

He called, needed money bad and asked what I'd pay for the Fender and the compelete Front end kit. I said $1500. He said no way, I'll go as low as $2200. Told him I couldn't do it. Three days pass, On Thursday he calls me up, needs money really bad for a vaction hes taking. Said he'd be willing to part with it all for $1500 but he needs the money fast. Hence why I drove all that way.

So theres all my inventory for $1500! All said in done looking at it i'm sure theres a good $8000 worth of parts there, the front end kit is $6500, add in the fender scoops, Outter hood, and Fender on top that and that's where my guess on total value is coming from. But for me it's priceless! This imo is the HARDEST part of the project. You can find 1970 Plymouths no problem. The wing, also not too bad. But this front end right here has been my bane for a year, I finally have the darn thing! Now I can get started.

I bought a new motorcycle towards the start of the summer (its paid for) that took a nice chunk of my savings from this project, but my old bike needed replaced. I'm looking at around May to buy the car. I could buy one now, but I don't do loans, rather buy everything out right, i'm debt free and I'd like to keep it that way. I dont mind taking extra time to do the project and not kill myself.

-Bradster

Last edited by Bradster; 07-31-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Because it's now offical, I felt it was time to make a forum signature.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking great im so jelouse the superbird is my dream carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by mopardrt
looking great im so jelouse the superbird is my dream carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Thank you

Well, I figure it will take years to finish it. Just to toss some of the larger numbers around.

1970 Plymouth Satllight or Belvedere 5-10k. I'd prefer one with a missing or blown engine thats in nice shape, hard to come by thats not rotted out.

Engine as much as I'd like a Big Block. A 500-550HP small block vs a big block with the same horse power is a $5,000 increase on price tag. Might go with the small block for the savings. Still a good 11-12k turn key create motor (fuel injected)

Trans, I'd like a 6 speed this time around. 3k?

Paint 4-5k

Body work free (long as no welding is invovled I can strip and wet sand).

Rims and tires, haven't gone so far to look yet but a few k there

The list goes on and on. I like to take it in steps. Front end is in inventory, that covers my goal for this year other then locating the motors for the headlights. Next step around next may. Goal is to get the car, other fender and get the front end on it. Order and install Wing. Rest of the months to follow will be me wet sanding while I save to redo suspension, brakes, fix and
reupholster interior.
Most likely 2-3 years before i'm driving up the road in it, but good things take time, sadly lol.

This is by far the most intensive and most expensive project I’m taking on. I have to make many sacrifices. But so far it’s worth it.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cant wait to see more work done I will be looking out for any superbird parts I can find for you
Old 08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Mopar Fan

Cant wait to see the finished product ill have to keep an eye for new postings i feel like im part of the project... I have always wanted a bird. My look right now is for a GTX 4 speed.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:28 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kelsey hayes recall wheels!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 PM

Just got off the phone with Ted Janak and he was able to identify the age of my front end. He told me the front end that I have was made around 20 years ago. At the time it was the top of the line production version. He said a lot has changed in the design and the materials as he always updates to use top of the line. But he was real confident with this model and said it’s a real good one. I’m real happy to hear that.
Have more of a direction on the assembly and he is even willing to take me step by step thru the assembly over the phone when I have the parts in front of me. What a nice guy.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by SUPERBIRD540
well , my shop was broken into back in May and 1/2 of my Superbird was stolen, including the vin and the complete dash, so i am giving up as i no longer have the funds to rebuild this car........so, i have closed the shop and i am offering these items for sale:
SUPERBIRD HOOD, REAL ONE, $2950
SUPERBIRD FENDERS, SOLID AND NICE- SOME DINGS BUT EASILY WORKED OUT, $1500 EA
LH SUPERBIRD WING SUPPORT, $150
NEW NOSE CONE Z BRACKETS, STEEL SHOW QUALITY PIECES, $400
REGULAR 68-70 B-BODY REAR WINDOW TRIM, NICE, $225/SET
NEW WINDSHIELD, 70B, CANNOT SHIP- MUST PICK UP, $250
WINDSHIELD TRIM, NICE, $100/SET
NICE TAIL LIGHTS FOR 70RR, $300/PR
NEW 3800 LB B-BODY SUPERSTOCK SPRINGS, $225/PR
NEW HEADLINER $40
NEW CARPET FOR 4-SPD BLACK, $110
NEW VINYL TOP, $75
3 SPD WIPER SWITCH FOR RALLYE DASH, $55
66 440 MOTOR, STOCK AND UNTOUCHED, $1200 COMPLETE SOUP TO NUTS
OR BUY THE REMAINDER OF THE CAR WITH ALL THE PARTS- 70RR 4-SPD CAR, WILL NEED A POLICE TAG VIN or legally rebodied, RUST FREE, NO ROT OR RUST, MINI-TUBBED, SPRINGS HAVE BEEN MOVED INTO THE RAILS, NEW 1/4'S AS THE WHEEL WELLS WERE RADIUSED AND NOT ROTTED, NO ROT ANYWHERE....THIS IS AS CLEAN AS A 70 ROADRUNNER AS ANYONE WOULD EVER WANT- ALWAYS STORED INDOORS......NO MOTOR, TRANS, K-FRAME OR REAR- CAR IS ON A CHASSIS DOLLY WHICH I WILL THROW IN THE DEAL- I AM SO SICK FROM THIS SH*T AS I SAVED AND SEARCHED A LONG TIME FOR THIS STUFF AND A CAR TO DO, AND THEN SOMEONE STEALS IT THAT I JUST WANT TO SEE IT GO........THERE'S MORE STUFF TOO THAT I CAN'T THINK OF RIGHT NOW......I'LL TAKE 17,000 FOR EVERYTHING- LOCATED IN 10924 NY...
I WILL GET PICS OF THIS STUFF POSTED LATER TODAY IN THIS AD- PM OR EMAIL ME
Read your posting here and thought u may be interested in pm/emailing this guy...This add is From FBBO
Good mopar site also.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparf...reply&p=102556
Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Lucky guy

[quote=Bradster;51732]Hey All,

I'll take better pictures of the front end after a good nights rest. But I have the front end now, came with everything! Just need the motors for the head lights. I also picked up a 70 Coronet fender, and the fender scoops.

Here's the pics from my journey I left at 8am and got home around 11pm. From south eastern pa to North western New York on the tip near the lakes. It was one long haul! This front end was made by Ted Janak It was the higher end build $6500 package. http://www.wingedwarriorbodyparts.com/catalog.html Never used, was bought but the project was put on hold and never happened, then he needed money, bad. That's where I come in.

You guys are going to fall out of your chair when I tell you how little I paid for this. I'm not telling until I get better pictures of my inventory for full effect. It was a deal out of this world

In route to New york

No caption needed, just funny

Moutains!

Complete Nose kit, fender scoops and Coronet fender BARELY fit in my Blazer, my one seat was touching the dash after I we fit everything in there.

Around 5pm Thank god (Around Erie, I live in south east PA, so still many many hundrends of miles to go)

I pulled in my drive way and take a look at the Trip, I can't beleave I managed to do it all in one sitting!

Sneak peak at just the nose cone, Better pics later (too tired right now after that drive).

Last edited by 1969clonecharger; 02-02-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM

Lucky guy

Hello Bradster, I just joined the forum. I have to say that your are one lucky guy. You are off to a great start. I always wanted a winged car. I just found a 1969 Dodge Charger. I have been talking to the owner and he has agreed to sell. We just need to talk about the price alittle more. I would love to cone it into a winged car if I could. I need to buy it first. Look forward in seeing your progress and talking to you more about it. Good luck.