Trunk seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Trunk seal?

The trunk seal on my '69 RR seems to be made of a thin foam pad and is glued in place

Not much of a good seal even though most of it is still in tact

Is this the original seal?

If so, has anyone tried using a thicker slip-fit seal like what modern cars have?

Kinda like this:

Just curious if I might run into issues with the deck lid closing
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Hard to see but this is what the original seal should look like, from your photo looks like someone just installed some hardware store seal. Make sure when you order it- I always buy my seals from Soffseal- make sure to get the adhesive. 3M makes a good adhesive remover to get the old stuff off, won't hurt the paint.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk seal?-mb1977.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Actually the original seal was and still is foam rubber which is a better seal than the gm style stuff used on the newer cars. It's glued into place few things though.

One there is exactly one sealant that works 3M weatherstrip adhesive yellow. The black stuff doesn't seem to work as well. The yellow is also correct as this was what was used originally.

http://www.steelerubber.com/ is a good place. They even have many of the other rubber products for the car such as door bumpers.

Put adhesive down on paint put clean rubber seal into place pull up put down 3 times then leave it in place. Do NOT pull sideways on the foam rubber.

At the point of where it joins about a foot back on either side make sure you have about 2 inches of over lap. Put into place and glue down. It will shrink slightly with heat and pull apart at joint if you don't.

Ive installed tons of these this way and not one has come loose or pulled apart. They also last a really long time.

I have had to do a few removals though. I prefer to use a small propane torch and go around the trunk lip with the torch heating gently to remove the trunk rubber. Heat guns work as well. The idea is to warm the metal just enough to loosen the glues hold.