the car will not stay ON

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation the car will not stay ON

Hello guys i have a dodge 64- 880 custome i have a push button to start it after i turn the ignition switch..

if i turn the key to the start position and push the botton the car will stay on. if i let the key go back how its suposed to it will turn off.

if i hold the key the car will stay on but it will use the baterry power because when the battery dies the car will turn off..

i change the alternator and the regulator. but its doing the same thing..

let me know what it may be.. also i did change the ignition switch and that did not work..

i dont think the car is rotating the power back from the alternator to the engine and baterry.

thanks guys...
Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Mopar Fan

check to see if it's the coil resistor. it is a rectangular piece of porcelain like material, with 2 electrical terminals, one on either end. If this $2 part goes out, you will not receive power to your ignition coil after she is started.
Attached Thumbnails the car will not stay ON-coil-resistor.jpg  
Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
ignition switch..

Ballast resistor.. (which is picture in post #2)

voltage regulator..

all things to check for...
Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
x2 on the ignition switch. sounds like exactly what it is. good luck; those aren't fun to change out haha.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM

thanks

i know its been some time guys but you are all right .. i did check then and i found the problem .. resistor was bad .. ill try to come in here more often and put all new pics i have im taking it apart for the paint job.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by first64dodge880
i know its been some time guys but you are all right .. i did check then and i found the problem .. resistor was bad .. ill try to come in here more often and put all new pics i have im taking it apart for the paint job.
Glad you found 'er. It is IMPORTANT to understand how Mopar ignition circuits work, which are DIFFERENT from GM and Ferd

You have THREE important, SEPARATE circuits associated with ignition, and a total of FOUR SEPARATE switches inside the ignition switch

1 Unrelated to ignition, the ACCESSORY switch, hot in both IGN run and accessory --goes to the ACC buss in the fuse panel

2 IGN "run", traditionally DARK BLUE also called "ign 1" by Mopar. Hot ONLY in "run" it supplies the gauges and warning lights in the cluster, the regulator IGN terminal, and the "key" side of the ballast resistor. In newer cars (70 / later) it ALSO supplies the alternator field, the electric choke if used and maybe a couple of other things. IMPORTANT: NOT HOT in start!! IT IS NOT FUSED

3 The "start" wire, tradionally YELLOW goes directly from the IGN switch through the bulkhead to EITHER of the "push on" terminals on the start relay. The start relay goes to ground on early stick cars. On automatic cars and later stick cars with a clutch safety switch, the relay "sees a ground" in park or neutral, or when the clutch pedal is depressed IT IS NOT FUSED

4 The "ignition bypass" sometimes called "IGN 2" Traditionally BROWN it is hot only in start THIS IS THE WIRE that kept your car going with a bad resistor. You had either held or "jammed" the switch far enough to start that it kept running. NOT GOOD for the points or coil. You are running the coil directly off the battery IT IS NOT FUSED
The following users liked this post:
first64dodge880 (03-07-2012)