..a little help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ..a little help please

Well, it's finally time to change out the fuel sending unit, the gas gauge has dropped to "E" and apparently is going to stay there...I've done the "diagnosis tests" ..and it's definitely not the gauge, or the wiring. My question is....has anyone changed out the sending unit on their 65' Fury?, can you give me an idea of the complexity?...I haven't even begun to look it over and see what it all entails, do I need to drop the tank?...I cant find any helpful articles on the web
Old 03-31-2011, 12:22 PM

I know on my 68 300 i just removed the fuel lines from the tank, and electrical connector then released two bolts which hold the straps in place, and removed the tank to gain access to the sender unit.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 AM

sending unit??

I'm not sure on the '65 models but on my '67 Furys, the sending unit can be changed without removing the tank. After removing the lines and wire that attach to the unit, there is a large ring with tabs on it. You can turn that ring with a hammer and a small drift (I bought a tool to do this but I have successfully used the hammer and drift method too). Once the ring is removed, the unit can be removed. On the last one I did, the float had a tiny hole in it and the gauge read empty all of the time.
On my cars, the unit is located on the front of the tank and the fill tube in in the rear and is accessed behind the license plate. I believe on the '65 Fury the fill tube is on the drivers side and is accessed through the fender panel so the tank sender unit could be different, I'm not sure. What ever the case is, I wish you good luck. It really is not a difficult task.
John
Old 04-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Hey thanks guys!.I still haven't found any articles with the 65 fury sender replacement in particular, but I think I can figure it out now...I'm hoping the problem is just a "sunk" float...easy enough to replace and a heck of alot cheaper.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:38 AM

Fuel Gage Sending Unit

Before you change the sending unit out it might be worth using a can of Chevron Techron Plus gas additive which has an additive that cleans oxidation off the sending unit. The fuel gage worked about half the time on my '66. One can of this product and it has been fixed ever since.
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...tives/tcp.aspx
Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM

If the sender is acting up, the "sock" or prefilter is probably in bad shape and pulling the tank is probably the best solution. It's only one wire, one hose, one ground strap (if it's still there) filler neck and two nuts. A chimp could do it. Not saying that to knock your abilities, but rather to let you know it's that simple. That way, while it's out, you can wash it out real good and get any scum off the bottom of the tank that may cause you some problems later on down the line. I don't think that I would ever risk replacing a sender without pulling the tank and inspecting everything really well. It's just too easy not to do it.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by moparman63
one ground strap (if it's still there)
If the ground strap is bad, broke, or gone this will most likely be the problem. Other wise you probably have a sunk float,
Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Many of the Mopars had a ground strap that was a clip bridging across from the tank sender to the metal fuel line.

BEAR IN MIND that there is not necessarily a good ground connection on the metal line going up front!!!!