Replacing Points

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Points

Installing Pertronix Ignitor I with new coil that has built in resistor. Can I eliminate the porcelain ballast resistor.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
no the ballast resistor is still needed.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Exclamation

I used Pertonix dissies all three failed!
what ever you do call the tec. line and ask them what EXACTLY to use!!!
Or you will be broke down on the side of the road!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by 67newportwayne
Installing Pertronix Ignitor I with new coil that has built in resistor. Can I eliminate the porcelain ballast resistor.

YES so long as you are absolutely certain that the coil you now have is

1.....compatible with the Pertronix. Notice in their destructions that they state "Do not use HEI type coils." (right at top of first page)

2.....Is for certain a coil which is designed to operate without a ballast

Notice that on page 2 of the destructions that it shows the Pertronix ties into the SWITCH side of the ballast and not the COIL side of the ballast

Last, using such a coil in my view is misguided. To understand why, you must understand WHY ballast resistors are used to start with. That is, so that they can be bypassed during cranking in order to increase spark output!!! By using a "no ballast" coil, you now eliminate that "feature."

Having said all the above, l simply don't care for Pertronix. They require special aftermarket parts, which most parts stores do not stock, so this means there are only two ways of a roadside repair...........Either carry a spare set of points and condenser, and know how to install them, or else buy TWO Pertronix units so that you have spares.

The destructions

http://www.pertronix.com/support/man...itor12vneg.pdf
Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by jacilynn_s
no the ballast resistor is still needed.
Try actually reading the OP's post. By the way, congratulations. Due to your insulting, as well as incorrect PMs you have now the distinction of being my first and only "ignore list" member

Originally Posted by 67newportwayne

Last edited by 440roadrunner; 03-15-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
YES so long as you are absolutely certain that the coil you now have is

1.....compatible with the Pertronix. Notice in their destructions that they state "Do not use HEI type coils." (right at top of first page)

2.....Is for certain a coil which is designed to operate without a ballast

Notice that on page 2 of the destructions that it shows the Pertronix ties into the SWITCH side of the ballast and not the COIL side of the ballast

Last, using such a coil in my view is misguided. To understand why, you must understand WHY ballast resistors are used to start with. That is, so that they can be bypassed during cranking in order to increase spark output!!! By using a "no ballast" coil, you now eliminate that "feature."

Having said all the above, l simply don't care for Pertronix. They require special aftermarket parts, which most parts stores do not stock, so this means there are only two ways of a roadside repair...........Either carry a spare set of points and condenser, and know how to install them, or else buy TWO Pertronix units so that you have spares.

The destructions

http://www.pertronix.com/support/man...itor12vneg.pdf
X-2 even when i followed the directions they fail what do they call the system halo
i'm happy with mallory kit
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I haven't heard much good about Pertronix either. That's very good advice to have a spare, I even carry a spare ecu in my travel kit for the MP electronic ignition on my 360, after having one crap out on me 80 miles from home and in a low spot out of cell range.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Pertronix are what some people use inplace of the mopar electronic ignition system. If you run them as directed hooked to the 12 side they burn out in a month. If you run them through the ballast resistor they seem to continue working.

The internal resistance coils have so far been something of a joke in my experience. I do not trust them at all and have a few dead ones in a box somewhere I removed off cars that wouldn't run.

There is however more than one pertronix kit available so simply ordering one for a mopar by engine size and year is not the best idea. There is prestolite distributors and chyrsler distributors with single and dual point setups. They have kits for each of these that do not work in the others.