Barn Fresh 1970 V Code Challenger...anyone wanna school me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by unclemikeys...tripleblack
Ive been getting people just showing up at my house when Im not home, helping themselves, popping the hood & going in the car & such. The car sits far away from the road in my private driveway & you can barely see it yet Ive had half a dozen people prowling around this week alone. Mostly when Im not home & my wife sees them, she goes outside & they either ask to buy the car or just leave before she can talk to them, while leaving the hood half open. One guy came up when I was home & said "Ill give you 5k for that old rusty car." I said "its not for sale & please dont come on my property without permission" kinda rudely & started to walk back inside. Real quik he came back & said "would 12k make you move on the car?" ..Obviously this guy had been here before, read the vin & knew what he was looking at. I said again "its not for sale" & he left. ....I need to get the car out of sight asap. ....I think next time I see someone with my hood open Im going to go outside & instead of walking to them, Ill just go straight to their car & get inside, pop the hood & then see how they feel!

I'd get a sign that says "video recording on all premises of the property" and "trespassers will be prosecuted". That'll keep most out of the area.

And put the car under a car cover or inside your garage
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years back I saw a Charger Daytona sitting arossed the street from a guys house in a vacant lot, it was obvious the lot belonged to the house tho. Anyway, I pulled up in front of the car and looked at it from a distance, then approached the house. "THAT"S MY PROJECT CAR!" a man screamed from the front door before I could even get close. "I just wanted to ask", "I SAID THATS MY PROJECT CAR, IT"S NOT FOR SALE!!" slam goes the door, and off I drove. For four more years that car set there, never being touched. Grass growing under it rotting out the frame I'm sure.

Soon the landscape changed and I could no longer see it from the road. My work route changed and I have no idea if it's still there.

Unlike your people getting in the car, I never approached the one I was looking at. The guy was obviously fed up with people asking about it and was a real jerk to me. But I think down deep he really liked the attention because he never covered the damn thing up or got it out of site. He just kept leaving it there like bait for unsuspecting Mopar guys so he could scream "THAT"S MY PROJECT CAR!" at them
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Mopar Fan

Post a no trespassing sign at the edge of your property...then start walking out with a shot gun...people will stop and think. Plus it would be leagel to shoot.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE

Ive been so busy....I should have the car in the garage very soon. It would be in there already but honestly its still filthy nasty inside so I still need to get it cleaned out. Ive posted no trespassing signs & have hidden the car behind some fence panels, which still doesnt keep people out because it doesnt take long aparrently for word to spread where the new Mopar in town is at. Wow, Im shocked by all the folks stopping by. Seriously like 20 different people have knocked on my door asking about the car over the weekend. Most play stupid...then get "smart" real quick when they figure out I know what I have. This includes guys who own resto shops, service centers, body shops, car dealers & other somewhat important people who wouldnt probally have given me the time of day if I was a walk-in at their business. I know its just the nature of the game & no disrespect to anyone out there that does this, but in my opinion its better to just admit what you know right away rather than play dumb asking about "the junker in the driveway" then turn the story around telling me they are a Mopar guru (which most of these visitors do) I got more respect for a guy who comes off knowlegable at 1st & shoots off a fair offer. Honesty is the best policy & gets you quite farther in life. I should know because Ive been in business buying & selling used designer 60s-70s furniture for 12 years. If someone has something good I tell them & then tell them what I can pay to allow room for me to make $ too. It works much better than making up stories, playing stupid & trying to buy a great piece for pennies. Karma is real!!! ...And believe me, if I make out really well with this car the P/O will get a kickback from me, its only fair. .......So Galens office has yet to return my calls from last week, but thats ok Im not in any big hurry. Ive got the Fender Tag all sorted out now & am really happy with the options. Im going to attempt to contact the folks at the new Mr Norms & see where I can get from there. Ill be updating this thread as more happens with the car! ....Thanks to all, I love the comments & opinions of every Forum user here, good or bad it all ends up into 1 big picture!

Last edited by unclemikeys...tripleblack; 10-12-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:02 AM
Mopar Lover

Keep us posted man.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
This is a fantasitc find and story.. Make sure you not only take pictures but keep written notes on all you do... If you restore they will add to the value as well.... Please keep us posted on your progress......
Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 AM

UPDATE

OK I still havent talked to Galen or gotten ahold of Mr Norm but life comes 1st, not to mention Im pretty broke at the moment & everyone is gonna want $$ to talk. So ....In the meanwhile I thought Id post what the Fender Tag reads out so you guys can give me some thoughts on how rare this combo of options I have might be. My tag is so crusty & much had to be read from the reverse & was still difficult but eventually after different cleanings, various lighting & wet & dry viewings it all came to surface. I should probally have Galen stamp me a duplicate tag eventually. Here goes starting at the top:
Y05 26 EN1
N42 N85 P31 R35 V9W
C62 G31 G33 J54 M21 M41
V1X A32 A62 B51 C16 C55
TX9 H6X9 000 408 071598
E87 D32 JS23VOBxxxxxx
Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 PM

J Challenger
S R/T
2 2-Door
3 Hardtop
V 440- 3x2bbl
0 1970
B Built At Hamtramck, MI Plant

D32 A-727 Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission

E87 440 Six Pack

000 Interior Paint Color- None

408 Build Date April 8th, 1970

071598 Order Number

V1* Full Vinyl Roof- X- Black

A32 Super Performance Axle Package- 4.10 Sure-Grip equipped Dana, 7-blade Tq Drive Fan, 26" High Perf. radiator w/ shroud, Power Disc Brakes
A62 Rallye Instrument Cluster
B51 Power Brakes
C16 Console
C55 Bucket Seats
C62 Manual 6-way Seat Adjuster
G31 RH Outside manual Racing Mirror
G33 LH Outside Remote Racing Mirror
J54 Sport Hood
M21 Drip-rail Moldings
M41 License Plate Front(?) I'm Fairly Certain this will be N41 Duel Exhaust
N42 Chrome Duel Exhaust Tips
N85 Tach
P31 Power Windows
R35 AM/FM Multiplex Stereo Radio
V9* Longitudinal Stripes or Rear Deck Lid Panel Stripe- W- white
Y05 Built to U.S. Specs.
26 26" Radiator
EN1 END Built on First Shift

Sounds like a nicely optioned R/T.. The Six Pack and the Mr. Norms connection will be where the rarity will come in..

Good Luck

Last edited by konigcharger; 10-18-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any update?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Update

So its been a while since Ive visited the site, meant to but had a hard time remembering my password & between a business move & winter in Chicago well, you know time flys! ...Anyways I just sent off $500 to Performance West Group in CA this week who has all remaining Mr Norms original dealer paperwork....I must be real lucky because they had a dealer jacket for my car which includes tons of verifying info & factory/dealer orders, original sales slip, a spare set of keys & more all of which verify everything. Its a Norms car alright & loaded with options!! ....Ive yet to recieve the packet but Im anxious to get it & well worth the cost. In fact its just amazing that paperwork like this even exits still. If anyone of you guys think you have a Mr Norms car there is a possibility that Performance West may have your documents. Give them a call at 760-630-0547 ....The Challenger meanwhile is just sitting quietly, untouched until I get all my paperwork & intentions sorted out. ...Also if anyone has any spare Challenger emblems Im looking for 2 440 Sixpack hood emblems, also a Challenger & an R/T emblem both for the fender. I would be very interested in buying them. Im looking for some emblems that would look like they belong on this car which means faded colors & pitting is good. But they must be original pin type, not stick-ons. Someone stole/broke these over time.

Last edited by unclemikeys...tripleblack; 03-06-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Year 1 should have your Emblems.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MercuryDon
Year 1 should have your Emblems.
From his post:

"Im looking for some emblems that would look like they belong on this car which means faded colors & pitting is good."
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Mopar Fan

so what happened with the Challenger????????? Don't leave me hanging!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 PM

Maybe he sold it and is still out spending the $$$$$
Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Mopar Fan

He doesn't check in here very often. Hopefully he will give us an update soon. That was a fantastic find.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 AM

UPDATE...Its been 1 1/2 years since last

Sorry to all who may be curious. Its been 1.5years since my last post. Since then not much has changed with the car itself other than its under lock & key inside a garage now instead of out in the elements. Its still as original as it ever was. What has changed is that Ive finally gotten my clear original IL title after much time/paperwork/money between me & the Secretary of State....Ive also ponied up a large chunk of change for Galen Govier to inspect the car. Its been well over a year now & I still have nothing to show on paper from Galen except a reciept of payment. I know hes a busy guy buried under a mound of work so I wont harp on that fact. I can be patient. He was very nice in person & pretty much showed me & told me everything I needed to know. Its without a doubt a true 35k mile, Mr Norms car, #s matching everything! Although many elements of the car are in poor condition due to sitting so long, its all here & a dream come true for the right guy. Im not that guy though so Im hoping soon to find it a new home. Ive now spent nearly as much on "paperwork" between Galen, Secretary of State & Preformance Plus as I did the car. But without all the "paperwork" the car would just be another rotten Challenger. I plan to be more proactive with replys & updates, sorry to all those that wondered what happened to the car. Its still out there!
The following users liked this post:
jeffz (07-29-2013)