97 Ram B1500 Stalling and No Start

Old 12-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Ram B1500 Stalling and No Start

Hi everyone, I'm having intermittent stalling issues with my Ram 1500 Van.

It will occasionally stall out and take a few tries to start back up, in one case it didn't start up again until several days later. It cranks well but doesn't start.

In most if not all cases, it stalls out before it reaches regular operating temperature. If the engine is warmed up, it seems that it will stay going and I can restart it at will.

The stall is sudden, with instant loss of power steering and brakes. The engine doesn't sputter and runs fairly smoothly when it's going.

Diagnostics:
Checked all fuses - good
Fuel pressure is good (steady 49psi)
Air intake is clear of blockage
Cleaned IAC and removed carbon buildup
Cleaned throttle body
New spark plugs
New distributor cap/rotor
New ignition coil
New Auto Shutdown Relay (ASD)
New crankshaft position sensor
Seafoamed engine and gas tank to clean injectors

The problem seems to be electrical, but I can't narrow it down to completely solve it.

The engine got no spark when cranking, however, the ignition coil gets a 10v signal when cranking (slightly rusty ground bolt used during testing).

I don't have a test light, but I used a multimeter to check the connection between the coil's signal wire, and battery positive to see if there was a signal.

There was no signal, but I'm not sure if that's because I used a multimeter instead of a test light.

After I got the engine going tonight, I let it idle for about 20 minutes and it threw code P0138 for a faulty O2 sensor. I'm not sure if this is related.

What could I be missing?

Last edited by geoffreyweber89; 12-14-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
I had a similar experience with a 98 B150 van I believe it is electrical also Does your air cond work ? Mine was intermittent both the air and ign would quit with an Ignition failure code ??? P0134 ???? Have you checked for codes ?? So check a wiring diagram Finally blew the cat converter (backfire) Low compression due to overheating it. Sold it for junk...Needed too much work...