Carbureted 360 magnum

Old 09-08-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbureted 360 magnum

Hi everybody I was wonder what has to been done to turn a 1999 Dodge ram 1500 engine into a carbureted engine. The engine is in bad shape, burned oil, dropped a cylinder, and had LOW compression. Anyways, we pulled the engine and replaced it. So now I have a FREE 360 and a lot of ideas. Anyways, we pull the engine apart and find that the reason it dropped a cylinder was because a part of the exhaust valve broke off and jumped around in the bore for a bit. After some close inspection it turns out it didn't even hurt the bore!!! All it did was pit the top of the piston a little, but not very much. Also, there is NO ridge what so ever. Although there maybe 200,000 KM at most on it.

In the effort to do it the cheapest way possible I want to use the Auto tranny from the dodge ram. But was thing about all the electronics so if it can’t be use will get another one or possible a standard if the right one comes up.

As for the engine, I was going to pick up a rebuild kit from Summit and pretty much just re ring it. As for the piston I am pretty sure it’s all right, its just slight pitting. My plan for the head was to go to a machine shop and see if they might have an extra valve we might be able to pick up. Anyways, we where just going to clean the valve up and stick it in and re lap all the valves. As for the intake and Distributor we are going to use a '74 360 intake and pick up a new HEI from summit.

I really am not looking for anything special or any sort of hot rod. The main goal is to have a running truck to haul stuff, and tow my bud home from the track when he breaks down.

I know I wrote a whole lot but I wanted to come ask some guys with more experience before I start blowing . Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

sounds like you know what you need, manifold and dizzy. plus the brain to run the dizzy, i would replace that pistion a single cast piston shouldnt be more than 20 bucks, you dont need that pitted piston to fly apart due to cracks you cant see with the eye, then that would cost alot more , another note i would get those head magnafluxed they have a habbit of cracking. the head that had the broken valve id really check out, if you cant afford to get them both checked, tranny you may have have to use a 904 or 727 (auto)
Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Will I'm more concerned about the old intake fitting on the new block.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:01 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

oh oh i see if its an older LA manifold it will not bolt up, edelbrock does make 4bbl intakes for the magnums
Old 09-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes you can carb a magnum motor, but no, an LA intake will not fit. There might also be computer issues when it comes to inputs from the engine that it needs to control the transmission. Then there is the electric fuel pump issue, it may not even turn on without engine inputs. My 5.2 magnum in my 95 Ram has 251,000 miles and never had an injector or timing issue. Dont be afraid of FI just cause you dont understand it. I think the reason newer motors last so long IS cause of FI. No flooding, no cylinder washdown, less oil contamination from rich settings. I vote you keep the FI....JMHO.