Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Dodge Durango (https://moparforums.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   18 Durango SRT Antifreeze smell (https://moparforums.com/forums/f19/18-durango-srt-antifreeze-smell-24942/)

DMN KLR 01-30-2023 03:49 PM

18 Durango SRT Antifreeze smell

We have an '18 Durango SRT that smells like anti-freeze after it gets to temp, but is never low. We don't have any leaks from radiator or heater core, no leaks underneath or through the exhaust. We've had it back to the dealer several times and they keep changing different engine components with no success. Anybody else with ANY 392 have this issue?

fivepoint 01-30-2023 06:17 PM

I had a Ram 2500 that did had that too. Never had to add coolant ever. I was told that the coolant hoses gave off that odor. It never smelled when it was cold. I noticed it most often when I got to work in the morning and got out of the truck.

DMN KLR 01-30-2023 06:51 PM

Anti freeze smell

Originally Posted by fivepoint (Post 160786)
I had a Ram 2500 that did had that too. Never had to add coolant ever. I was told that the coolant hoses gave off that odor. It never smelled when it was cold. I noticed it most often when I got to work in the morning and got out of the truck.

Thanks for the reply. Thats interesting, but you'd think that anything that soaks through something would "bleed" out. Mine doesn't smell until it's been warmed up. Mostly it just smells outside, but after some road miles it will smell inside too, like the heater core leaks. Did you get your problem cured or do you still have it?

xaza 01-30-2023 07:44 PM

Possibly overheating and pushing into overflow and the smell comes bleeding out there with no actual fluid loss?

Kuvasz101 01-31-2023 06:04 AM

My friends and I have experienced similar smells on different vehicles. My brother in-law's 454 boat engines smelled as described all without leaking coolant. I pinned pointed it in these different situations to the exhaust which is burning off ethanol (alcohol) smelling like anifreeze. This has been over a course of many years and still no coolant leaks, but still the ethanol smell which is more noticeable on startups.

fivepoint 01-31-2023 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by DMN KLR (Post 160787)
Thanks for the reply. Thats interesting, but you'd think that anything that soaks through something would "bleed" out. Mine doesn't smell until it's been warmed up. Mostly it just smells outside, but after some road miles it will smell inside too, like the heater core leaks. Did you get your problem cured or do you still have it?

I have since replaced the truck but, I just got used to the odor. I never smelled it in the cab. The truck never overheated and I never had to add coolant.

RacerHog 02-03-2023 09:42 AM

I could be just the heater core sweating ever so slightly....

Iowan 02-03-2023 01:44 PM

Check out the plumbing for the rear heat, aluminium tubing dosen't hold up as well as it should. It doesn't take much of a leak for the smell to surround the vehicle.

SPAMBURGER 02-06-2023 12:45 PM

On my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee I noticed that smell and her antifreeze wasn't ever very low. After having the dealer look at it with no success I looked around and saw that the water pump pulley was loose and leaking just a little bit. It only leaked while it was running and burning off so there wasn't ever a noticeable puddle under the car.