WHO'S THE BEST DRIVER IN F1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHO'S THE BEST DRIVER IN F1?

I'm a big fan of F1, more the cars than the drivers, but I also think the drivers are the best in the world. After so many years of M. Schummacker I'm wondering about the current crop of drivers, with Jensen leading the standings and Rubens in second place, two drivers who have been around for many years and really not having done that much, how good is this crop of drivers?
I think it comes down to Vettel and Hamilton but do the have the potential to become the next Michael or Senna or is it too soon to tell? Kimmi could have the talent but he just doesn't seem to have the commetment. What's your take on it?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Interesting perspective gents. Putting todays milk-fed driver in the older cars wouldn't work at all. It would be plain and simply dangerous. It would be the same as dropping the old school drivers into a new car. Similar result I would think.
With regards to the best driver, try this on for size, you guys tell me what you think. I believe this has hurt the sport in several ways.
Ok, the cars have advanced technologically speaking in leaps and bounds vs the drivers who in my opinion are not evolving at the same pace. For example "back in the day" as they say the drivers were turning wrenches also and had a tremendous feel for the cars they were racing. The two evolved together, car and driver.
With the rapid advances in the new cars and the clean finger nailed drivers it only stands to reason the disconnect that has taken place.
So who is the best driver, good question lads, good question.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Stinkwheel, I think banning ABS and traction control has put the drivers back in the piture much more so than they were a few years ago, you see more seperation between team cars, now they're not running in pairs around the track as much, but tecnology is what F1 is about. Comparing drivers from one era to another is always tough.

Polaradude, I don't know about milk feed, pampered yes, but these guys are in fantastic condition. 300 pounde plus pressure on the brake, 4-5gs in the corners while controling a throttle that has 1/2" travel from idle to WOT for an hour and half takes more than I can imagine. I agree with your take on drivers not being involved with the cars but I'm afraid those days are gone forever in all forms of pro racing, it's just too specialized now every component of a car has a team of engineers working just on that part. The teams can't even start the engines, they have too get the engine makers engineers to do it and it can takes them 45 minutes just to boot up the computors.

I envy you being on the east coast us westerners have a 4.30 am start time for the races, I've given up on trying to get up that early, I just stay up now and nap until the NASCAR race.

Last edited by toad490; 10-15-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Mopar Lover

I am not questioning the conditioning of the drivers or their IQ or the physical demands of the sport. I am just saying that the nature of the beast has changed dramatically so to pick a "best" driver is hard to do. Is it the guy who tops the points ? Not really, you know what Iam saying.
I have been a F-1 junkie for 20 + years and follow it religiously. I am glad you guys have posted in this section. It's nice to have some F-1 fans in the house.
I too used to live on the west coast and remember all about the alarm clock going off at 3;30 am, 4:30 am to catch a race.