GM/Chrysler merger rumors

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM/Chrysler merger rumors

Some of you have probably read or heard about these rumors. My thoughts are posted below. How do you feel, if this should happen?

In the off chance that GM buys (absorbs) Chrysler LLC, and in the off chance GM eliminates the Chrysler brands (minus Jeep), what are your thoughts about buying/owning Chrysler products in your future. This would, of course, depend on if you are somewhat brand loyal, like I am. Here are my thoughts (based on speculation that GM buys Chrysler) :

1) It might be 1987 all over again. Chrysler bought out AMC/Jeep/Renault and only kept Jeep. (that’s what they were after anyway). It took a few years to eliminate the AMC/Renault branded products and some of that turned into the Eagle division for an additional 10 years.

2) Look at the AMC branded products now. There is a good following and they are still out there for sale. Many people still use them for daily transportation, so the same can be true for Chrysler branded products after a 2008/2009 buyout or beyond. They are harder to find, but they are there.

3) I know I will always be able to find a Chrysler branded car in my lifetime, so I am not worried. I would love to see Chrysler as a company built cars for eternity, but this may not always work out that way. I am brand loyal to Chrysler products for my personal cars, but am open to other brands (foreign or domestic) for additional transportation. ( have 2 Dodges and a Ford now, and at one point, owned cars from all 3 "Big Three" American brands at one time as well as imports.) My heart does belong to Chrysler though.

What do you think?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
MoPaR all the way and if they disolve the mopar brand then i guess ill be never driving a new car , its really hard to imagine a world with out mopar but i guess it could happen as they are the only one out of the big three making any money where there stocks were 33. a share and ferd and cheby was at around 7. go figures .... my only thought is i wish i had the money to go out and buy the new challenger before they are no more and they had the cuda in the works for i think 2010 but if the merge happens im sure it will never be and the jobs that are going to be lost here in Michigan will be tremendous and hell i might as well move to canada , it will be a sad day for me if it happens