New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

1980 Plymouth Volare

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 Plymouth Volare

As you will tell, I am new to this. Hopefully I am posting this in the right place and will get the right attention... Anywhoo..
A little bit about my ride.
I purchased my 1980 Plymouth Volare as my first car about 4 years ago (I am 22 now). It certainly needed some TLC when first purchased. I got it off some older gent for $650 @ roughly 65,000 miles. I now have about 75,000 maybe.. Long story short, after basic restoration (body work/cosmetics inside and out, basic performance work/upgrade/tuneups), it has been quite beautifully restored I must say. Slowly restored to it's former days. Let's just say I love this car and am fond of my Volare. She has gotten me from point A to B and some. It has had a Newer/Rebuilt starter, alternator, battery, plugs, etc... but now my problem...
I believe it is the Air Pump Diverter Valve? (I believe that's what it is called). Basically it went to **** on me, I went to a local Junkyard, happened to be 2 Volares there with what I needed (The valve and hoses), through them bad boys on, less than a week later SAME thing happened AGAIN... WHAT IS GOING ON?! I miss driving her but don't know what to do or where to go, being that what I need is extremly hard/rare to come by apparently...
ANY SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED! Is there something else going? Also, I must say, I have thought about swapping in a nice small block... Any suggestions on which one/how to do this/is it a good idea? I'm not an expert in mechanics or classics. I just love this car and it's sort of a hobby... It has the 225 /6
Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 899 Likes on 876 Posts
Got your message...
That diverter valve is kind of hard to come in the aftermarket. I Took a quick look but came up empty handed... I'll look a little deeper when I get to the shop tomorrow for you... If you do not have to smog the car... You can just take the belt off the air pump if you need to too keep the noise down...
Also... Make sure the check valve is good... That is a one way valve, and if it is no good it will damage the diverter valves...

As for your conversion I would stay with the engine swap stuff and info....
http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/Pr...gConvKits.html

You can use the 6 cylinder crossmember and then up grade later if you want to or get a K-Member now.... Just kind of depends of how the budget is for the build?

Hope this helps? I'll try to look for a diverter valve for your needs...
Keep us posted on how things go.....
Bob
The following users liked this post:
testamethyst90 (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 08:57 PM

Finally someone who messaged me back and seems to give a damn about helping others such as myself! Thanks Bob, I will keep posted almost daily as I use this more. If there is a way to bypass this issue that'd be great. I just want to drive the car without further damage. If I could fix it then that'd be even better. As for a swap, the funds aren't quite there just yet, mabye closer to summer. At the same time, I like the /6. Actually it'd be great to super six her, just need the know how and such... Any further help/tips are as always appreciated. Thanks again Bob
Old 02-24-2016, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 490 Posts
Way to go Bob!

Your a HERO!!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Mopar Lover

I did not see it in the aftermarket??? Hummm.
Not sure... Call the local Dodge Dealer and see if it still shows up as a good part number? I am finding it hard to believe but it might still be a dealer item only?
I did however spend some time looking for one of my old catalogs to try to come up with a part number. But I fell short on this one.... Wow
I am sure if you put a new check valve on the pipe. or just remove the check valve and cap the pipe... You should be able to drive the car without any problems.... You would just also have to remove the belt for the air pump.

As for the Super 6.... From what I have found... Best info for that is over on.....
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...splay.php?f=77
Just food for thought.... But if you do that.... I would say... Wait for the boosted kit that is in the works...

Keep me posted on what the dealer tell you... You have my curiosity up now !! lol

Last edited by RacerHog; 02-24-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:45 PM

Just called my local Dodge/Chrysler Dealer, gave the part # to for the Diverter Valve, aand no luck.. as expected. Well, if I were to go about removing the Check Valve (Air Pump Diverter Valve?), and caping off the pipe(s), what is the best way to doing this? Cap off how? And will this cause any problems down the road? Or effect performance? I mean, this car/model @ stock only produced about 90hp hahah.. (Hence why I'd like to Super 6 it).
Old 02-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Mopar Lover

If I can ask... What was the number for the valve?
Old 03-01-2016, 03:41 PM

The # on the valve is 4179710
Old 03-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Mopar Lover

Ok..... I have exhausted all of my resources on this valve.... Crazy... Used is about all you can find as far as I can tell... Hard to believe.. Looks like your going to have to find something close to it and alter it to work for now...
"Shacking My Head"... Wow

Keep us post on what you come up with?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 490 Posts
Just going to have to find one in a yard, there is still places that let you go back and find what you need.