New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

73 Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
73 Challenger

Hey everyone, I'm new here and first time classic car buyer. I've wanted a 70's Challenger for a long time. I got a 73 Challenger about 2 weeks ago. I've just uploaded one pic so far. I'll have more to come soon. It has a 383.

If someone could help me with the ignition on this I'd appreciate it. I've been racking my brain on about 4 wiring diagrams. I rewired the entire car with an American Autowire kit and I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to start. I can get the engine to turn over, but for what ever the reason I can't get it to fire. My ignition coil is getting power to it but when I hook up the spark plug tester from the dist. cap to the spark plug it's not lighting up. Since I the car I've put in a new one wire alternator, new igcm, new ign. coil and a ballast resistor.

So one of the things I'm not sure about is the wiring harness that attaches to the igcm. The harness I have is a 5 point harness and the actual igcm is a 4 pin igcm. The thing is when I first got the car before I started all of this it would fire up and run with the same setup. (The wiring was original and falling apart especially in the engine bay. That's why I decided to replace it.) Also, my ballast resistor is a 4 prong ballast resistor.

I've been using the chilton wiring diagram, the one from american auto wire, and this one http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1973/73ChallengerA.JPG

If someone could help me out that would be a huge help. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also my dist./ign was set up as an HEI system. So I'm not running a points dist.