Hybrid Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amen brother, this is something the hippies didnt figure on! Those batteries run on a higher voltage, we really dont know how the chemicals in the react with other fluids or situations, are they toxic while burning?, still lots of questions. first off, electrics should have a "master disconnect" that emergency responders can find in the event. I'm an electrician, so I see these issues you speak of. do you throw water or foam on them?, with the higher voltages, might you have more of a chance of the hybrid igniting the other car?, and on and on. You brought up a very good point that is an issue for first responders everywhere.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How fun! Incredibly toxic, "green" cars!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a firefighter, and they do extensive training on Hybrids, and the master kill switch basically would be the best idea for them.

On the Hydrogen pump, I know a guy who put one on his 6 banger Toyota and was getting 75-80 mpg. They aren't that hard to make, I made 5 or 6 of them my junior year, and sold them off haha. I couldn't figure out how to hook it up to my carb on my 87 Ram.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by CantRamItDodgeIt91
I'm a firefighter, and they do extensive training on Hybrids, and the master kill switch basically would be the best idea for them.

On the Hydrogen pump, I know a guy who put one on his 6 banger Toyota and was getting 75-80 mpg. They aren't that hard to make, I made 5 or 6 of them my junior year, and sold them off haha. I couldn't figure out how to hook it up to my carb on my 87 Ram.
you'd have to hook a switch up to your battery that gives it power and run it to the inside of your truck, then hook a fuel line to the converter and run that to your carb, and put some kind of vacume on the converter itself.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by ryan_e
i dont mean to be a ******* or anything and i dont mean any offense by this but hybrid cars a a joke and a half. sure you get better gas mileage and its "green" but i mean come on we can burn all the fuel we want and it probably won't effect the environment while any of us are still alive, hybrids are a mobile mess of a car. For fire fighters like me, when one of those hippies wreck there are so many more hazards that we have to deal with, like the car NOT shutting off and run the chance of running one of us over or that air bags cant be disenaged by cutting the battery cables, or if one of those pieces catch fire water only makes it burn hotter, then theres the "saftey" features of them, like when you open the doors it automatically checks the brakes by depressing them then letting off, what happens when you have the calipers off, it shoots the piston out if you open the door. Im not a big fan of these cars and never will be, I'll be driving my gas guzzler untill the day I die even if it only gets 5 miles to the gallon.
even if your not alive when **** hits the fan, soem of us younger members may be, or your kids, or our kids may be alive. now i dont agree with the battery cars, i think we shoudl use hydrogen, it's very simple to make and use and if you disconect the battery you cant make anymore hydrogen.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice one thing nobody has touched on in regards to hybrids is how they'll perform when it's cold outside (read: Winter). I've never driven one but I've seen plenty of times what happens to any battery when it's been sitting outside in sub-zero weather all night. (That's why I always keep a set of jumper cables in my truck.) Am I alone in thinking Winter and Hybrids simply won't mix? How about instead we just keep making the conventioal cars more fuel efficient and being smart about how we use them?
Oh yeah, I'm curious this hydrogen generator you guys are talking about. How about posting a new thread with instructions and photos? I want to give this a try!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Here's a hybrid I would love to own.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/01/p...mpg-hits-62-m/
Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Mopar Fan

HYdrogen.........

Originally Posted by 67Polara
33harner i use hydrogen in my 67 polara, it works great and saves tons of gas around town, but its a pain in the but to do the upkeep and you can put it on any car that has a carb it confuses fuel injected car pc's n makes em get worse gas mi,
but i have a glass jar with two metal plates thats wired to my batterand when i flip a switch it charges the molocules in the jar ( baking soda and distilled water ) and produces hydrogen and pumps it into my car and wala! bettter gas mi, with it i get around 20 mi to the gallon around town if idont drivelike a jack@$$ and close to 30 highway, so its worth all the hassel cuz i should be getting around 8 mi to the gallon city and i think like 12 or 15 high way. and this is with a 318 4 barrel carb.
Whatever happened here??????????
I'd be also very interested in this idea. I'd very much like to have a go at building one of these myself...
Any blueprints or specs anyone...........?????????
Old 05-09-2011, 04:57 AM

Until Dodge comes out with an electric car, I won't be too worried about hybrids taking any cake.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
I tried.. Bought a 98 van with a 3.9 6 cyl It is so under powered.. It sucks gas. Should have bought my usual 318 would have gotten better gas mileage