Dash Panel Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dash Panel Makeover

I would like to refinish my dash panel. Bring it back to its glory days if you will. My question is redo the one i have or locate a new one if i can. I personally would like to redo the one i have but not sure what supplies to use. I want it to look really nice when i am done not like a two year old did it with water colors,any help would be great. I will post pics of my Dart when i can figure out how. Computers are not my strong point,heck i still use the hunt and peck method to type!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
post pictures - if everything is there, refurbishing isn't terribly hard.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was playing in the photo shop for ideas.....

Old 05-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Mopar Lover

Duplicolor has some good products that can be found at many parts stores. They have a chrome paint that is very good for the shiny part. They also have a trim black that is good. Having the dash replated is ultra expensive but can be done. There are also places that specialize in the gauge faces and the plastic clear lenses can be polished with special plastic polishing kits. dash pads can be bought new if needed.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Mopar Fanatic

love the photo shop pic that is close to what i was thinking i am leaning toward digital gauges but scamp tramp you nailed it close to how i want it to look thanks alot it is nice to see it now i know that i like the way it will look when i am done it will probably be my winter project
Old 05-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Mopar Fanatic

thanks man, almost finished the next possable set up and I will post it here later
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I think this will be the final set up .... maybe
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

is that a scamp dash or the cockpit or a dc-10

besides, water temp, oil pressure, volts and fuel - what other gauges could you use?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Mopar Fanatic

LMAO .....It's gonna take a DC10 to beat this ride, I guess you've never had a car with some serious horsepower before and at the price of my motor the proper gauges are mandatory.

Last edited by SCAMP TRAMP; 05-09-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnthegoalie
is that a scamp dash or the cockpit or a dc-10

besides, water temp, oil pressure, volts and fuel - what other gauges could you use?
My apologies John I neglected to answer your question due to the thought of operating any car with out knowing the vital signs put me in a daze

My 30k 1300 - 1500 Horsepower 8-71 Supercharged all aluminium 540 HEMI that not only will be street driven cause thats the kind of guy I am will also be competing in NHRA Division 1 in Super Gas or Super Comp, that would be a 9.90 & 8.90 indexed E.T.

Vac. - max reading for fuel milage on the street, tells me if my A/F mixture or timing is off & shows me just when the power valve is going to kick in
Fuel Pressure - need say more & have ya ever see a blower explode from a lean condition?
Cooling system PSI - because you don't over heat $30,000 worth of motor because the water pump is crapin out
Brake PSI - so I can apply just enough pressure for the line lock to hold and not have to guess, consistency is the name of the game
Speedo
Tach with shift light and memory recall
Oil PSI
Oil Temp
Coolant Temp
Trans Temp - for the $$$ CS2 Lenco 5 speed
Volt
Fuel Level
Left & Right side exhaust pyro meters - because when ya know what your doing the exhaust temp tells you just about everything.
And of coarse the Diff Temp Gauge because my 9.5" G-Force Pro Mod rear end with the 4.88's or 5.14's going in it is worth more then most peoples cars
Hope that answers your question and reminds people that gauges are very cheep insurance for your investment - And I don't mean factory OE crap, thats about as accurate as pissing out the window to see which way the wind is blowing
Old 05-10-2010, 01:06 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

ok there... thats a lot to look at during your 9 second jaunt down the quarter, will you have the time to peep out the windshield?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Jesus, that's a dash full o stuff. Are you running a second alt. to power it all..lol
Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Mopar Fanatic

lol just 1 high amp alt and the trick is to turn the gauges so the normal operating position is pointing at 12:00 so all I have to do is see it with my peripheral vision to know its all good or going bad, so my 9 or 10 seconds are spent looking out the windsheild and just shift quick when the light flashes .... and after awhile 9 seconds seems so slow like ya could have a smoke a make a phone call ..... 6.90 is the blink and it's over ride lol
Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

with all the variables, wonder why you don't see 53 gauges in every high performance high dollar 1/4" mile drag car...
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Most dont run on the street like I do plus a couple of them are just for my peice of mind like the pyro meters, I can be going down the road at 50 mph and at a glance know if I have a lean condition because the temp is too high, again have you ever seen a supercharger explode from a leaned out motor? it ain't pretty and you'll never see it happen to me .... guess I could loose the fuel level gauge since it just goes from one side to the other in 5 min. and thats about all lol
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Mopar Fanatic

There I changed my personal signature so when you ask yourself why is this guy gauge crazy you can answer that with a look

Last edited by SCAMP TRAMP; 05-10-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Mopar Fanatic

wow awesome avatar SCAMP TRAMP! i was thinking going with just the usual gauges you know oil pressure,voltmeter,water temp,of course fuel gauge,speedo and tach.but would a oil and trans temp gauge be a smart idea?it is only a cruising car no racing!also anybody ever hear of cyberdyne gauges are they junk or what?should i go digital or not i am leaning that way!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

hope that e.t. is in metric - that's a lot of money and effort to go slow...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnthegoalie
hope that e.t. is in metric - that's a lot of money and effort to go slow...
Actually no that would be 15.8 for Super Gas & 14.2 for Super Comp and thoes who's whole motor makes less horsepower then 1 of my cylinders on pump gas should not talk about that being slow - you do about a what 22.0 second et with yours providing it dont stall because the choke is out of wack or your fuel psi is at 2 and no gauge to show you that

P.S. check my profile on what I do for a living and you'll see $$$ is not really a problem I just don't flaunt it like most in my bussiness, Hollywood pays really good
Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by dodgenut7
wow awesome avatar SCAMP TRAMP! i was thinking going with just the usual gauges you know oil pressure,voltmeter,water temp,of course fuel gauge,speedo and tach.but would a oil and trans temp gauge be a smart idea?it is only a cruising car no racing!also anybody ever hear of cyberdyne gauges are they junk or what?should i go digital or not i am leaning that way!
No man what you got listed is good, trans & oil temp if your going to put it through severe duty but min. for street use oil psi, water temp, volts, Tach, speedo, fuel psi & vacuum to get the best MPG and oh ya a fuel level lol .... this way some people won't get all over ya for trying to protect your investment with too many gauges if ya get my driff

Last edited by SCAMP TRAMP; 05-10-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Here is an idea, nothing like stock but of coarse neither are all the gauges.
I like the idea of a information center (Touch Screen) to organize a lot of data in a meaningful way. With the right programming and a touch screen you could setup alarms and kill points to not allow any of your parameters to be exceeded. This really would be a great application for something like this.

In this type of application the real money is in the input devices and for at least all your temps you have that already.

I do automation and operator interfaces for a living. I think it would be a fair guess that you could have a very nice color system setup for around $3,000
Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Originally Posted by SCAMP TRAMP
Actually no that would be 15.8 for Super Gas & 14.2 for Super Comp and thoes who's whole motor makes less horsepower then 1 of my cylinders on pump gas should not talk about that being slow - you do about a what 22.0 second et with yours providing it dont stall because the choke is out of wack or your fuel psi is at 2 and no gauge to show you that

P.S. check my profile on what I do for a living and you'll see $$$ is not really a problem I just don't flaunt it like most in my bussiness, Hollywood pays really good
never claimed to have a race car - my point is with the amount of money being dropped in the car one would expect quicker et's. if you have the money, spend away.

actor huh, what have we seen you in... mr. belvedere is that you?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Mopar Fanatic

HAHAAA THATS SOME FUNNY **** ..... and it would be Mr. Scamp sorry to say, love them Belvederes but the 12 good one's in Ontario the owner's won't sell ..... and just to keep ya up to speed (no pun intended) that is what index the cars run in, its not what they will actually run if left to do so, this is why timers and adjustable throttle cables are the norm ..... car will only go as fast as I let it in lame man's terms .... primo track conditions, tires and engine dialed in at a time trial it should do .....well I'll let ya know lmao
Oh and you can see me in the complete "Outlaw Biker" series on the History ch. thats the last gig I did, don't know if you get that ch. where you are so I'll post a link here for the last music video I did & I'll let you try and figure out who I am (hint - the one playing cards)........ lmao enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH11Y45ZUlY
Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

dude, is that the same chick that was singing with the band in road house?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Looks like her good call man but no, thought the same thing when I met her lol ..... love that Riv he drives!!!