gas filler neck problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas filler neck problem!

k...so i bought this 1967 sport fury about a month ago. ended up having to put heads,lifter and pushrods in it..spent all day sunday on that project. drained the gas tank best i could to get all the bad gas out of it beings it has sat for a couple o years. put a few gallons of fresh gas in it with a long necked gas can. got it started and it purrrrrrs like a kitten.
so i get off work today and figure 1st thing i'll do is take it up to the gas station up the street to fill 'er up. get to the gas station and guess what...the damned gas pump nozzle wont fit in the hole!!!!!!

basically the problem is this...the filler neck is behind the rear license plate. accessable through a large square shaped hole in the rear bumper..i'm sure u all know what i'm talking about. the problem being that the filler neck is too far down behind the bumper and the pump nozzle itself is not long enough to reach the filler neck. so i figured...just shove the pump nozzle through the access hole to reach the filler neck....nope...the damned pump handle is too big to fit through the access hole.
Has anyone else experienced such a stupid problem? are they just making gas pump nozzles shorter these days? makes me kinda wonder if maybe the gas tank is not an original gas tank for the car?

i havent quite figured out how i'm gonna solve this yet so any help would be greatly appreciated. for now i think ill just cut me a piece of exhaust pipe that is small enough around to fit down into the filler neck and long enough to come out a little more towards the access hole and just carry it around till i figure something else out.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Yep! Newer gas nozzles seem to be shorter, the bases thicker and that stupid splash guard is a pain in the ***!

I have to have the pump handle upside down with only 1/3 of the nozzle in the filler neck and I can only have the trigger pushed in about 1/2 way or it will over flow. Found an older independent gas station out in the country with older pumps from the late 80's whose nozzles fit perfect.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Hell kitten

Originally Posted by 64fury
I have to have the pump handle upside down with only 1/3 of the nozzle in the filler neck and I can only have the trigger pushed in about 1/2 way or it will over flow. Found an older independent gas station out in the country with older pumps from the late 80's whose nozzles fit perfect.
Similar issue with my '67. Stupid new pump nozzle is a POS. I agree with '64 Fury on this. Put the nozzle in partway, twist it, and do not lock the lever down or it will spill everywhere.

I got lucky years ago and found a new gas station that had old-style nozzles. Now I live in the weeds and old gas stations abound.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
these cars were made for leaded gas which has thinner gas pumps
Old 07-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Mopar Fan

take a look under the car and see if the tank can be shifted back a bit. it is more likely than not that the tank has been removed over the last 42 years.
is it possible to adjust the placement of the gas tank? only time i've really been underneath it was when i bought it to check for rust and such.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think you could buy a slip on extension with filter {for the nozzle} at an auto parts store. [might help maybe] It also migh be possible to get a little more extension from the fill tube itself by sliding it out farther. [If it is the type that slides into the tank through a hole with a grommet] {may require modifications}
Old 07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Mopar Fan

yeah...i am assistant manager of the main counter napa here in des moines and i looked in every catalogue i could find today and all i was able to come up with was this huge industrial thing that telescopes. i think it would be too big to fit in the filler neck. one of the older gentlemen that has worked for napa for like 20 years said we used to carry a slip on one with filter..but i couldnt find it...ill do some more looking tomorrow though.