Grille Glue

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grille Glue

Hey I thought I'd throw this question out there;

I've got one good grille for the front of my duster and one that has some trauma [cracks, some chips and a small chunck missing]. Was gonna toss it but thought if I could fix it, I could keep it for a spare. Has anybody out there had any sucess repairing plastic grilles on these MOPES? What type of glue/epoxy do ya use? How about using filler? What kind of plastic is it?

[Ain't got a camera yet to take pictures .]
Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
PVC pipe glue and purple primer for it. I used it once on a grille for a '68 GTX I was building, worked great.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by BuckNeccid
PVC pipe glue and purple primer for it. I used it once on a grille for a '68 GTX I was building, worked great.
Thanks for the replies guys, will try the recommendations. Where do you get the "purple primer"?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Mopar Lover

Lowes, Home Depot, your local hardware store, anywhere you get the PVC glue. It's just a surface prep for the glue.Be really careful with it, less is better, and only put it where you're going to put the glue. It's real volatile, and will melt a surface of the plastic for the glue to adhere to. It's also very thin, so it runs... that's why I say be careful with it.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any store that has plumbing stuff, but I totally agree with Buck, too much is not good, maybe get a really small paint brush like an artist's brush to apply it and the primer. The brushes that come in both cans maybe a little too big for what you want to do.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Polaradude
Any store that has plumbing stuff, but I totally agree with Buck, too much is not good, maybe get a really small paint brush like an artist's brush to apply it and the primer. The brushes that come in both cans maybe a little too big for what you want to do.

10-4 on the bein careful with the application. BTW, do they sell flux encapulators at home depot? Thought I might pick one up.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Mopar Lover

I have recently been introduced to Q-bond and it is an awesome glue that also has hardening powders if necessary, you may want to check it out, also there are some cheap kits on eBay.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by theomahamoparguy
10-4 on the bein careful with the application. BTW, do they sell flux encapulators at home depot? Thought I might pick one up.
Get the green one though...hahahaha
Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Commando
I have recently been introduced to Q-bond and it is an awesome glue that also has hardening powders if necessary, you may want to check it out, also there are some cheap kits on eBay.
Appreciate the Q-Bond tip, will have to check it out. thanks.
I didn't know about the hardening powders, are those applied after you use the glue or do you mix them with the glue?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Mopar Lover

What you do with the powders is that depending on what you are gluing there are two powders, not sure which one does what but it is labeled on the bottles, and you put the glue down, sprinkle powder then apply more glue, layer it. My buddy has been messing with this stuff a lot so he figured this out from experience, it may not actually say this on the package.

He has been able to glue hoses together and try and pull them apart and the hose will break in other spots then glued, so I am pretty convinced of what the glue can do. I have not used the glue for any of my projects yet, I did use it to glue the sole of my shoe back on and it has been holding since. It is a quick fix like superglue, but it sets in 10-15 seconds when direct pressure is applied.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Mopar Lover

[quote=Commando;14717]What you do with the powders is that depending on what you are gluing there are two powders, not sure which one does what but it is labeled on the bottles, and you put the glue down, sprinkle powder then apply more glue, layer it. My buddy has been messing with this stuff a lot so he figured this out from experience, it may not actually say this on the package.

Thanks for the tip, gonna have to do some experimenting myself!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 PM

make sure you use the purple primer and pvc cement in a well ventilated are. thats probably the best route though. no mixing, and should cost you less than 8 bucks for both cans. and dont let your friends glue your butt crack while your working on their car.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Omaha, what'd you finally use, and how'd it come out?