Rust Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust Repair

Hello,

So on my 68 Newport, I do have quite a bit of rust in the trunk (really the only place with bad rust on the car). A friend who does a lot of work on cars recommended that I use this stuff called "Rust Bullet". I read up on it and it sounds very promising. Has anyone had any luck with this stuff?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
The proper way is to replace the metal !!!!! Any thing else is temporary
Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by curtjr4
Hello,

So on my 68 Newport, I do have quite a bit of rust in the trunk (really the only place with bad rust on the car). A friend who does a lot of work on cars recommended that I use this stuff called "Rust Bullet". I read up on it and it sounds very promising. Has anyone had any luck with this stuff?

Thanks!
I'm assuming your not talking about repairing the rusted areas just trying to stop the rust from getting any worse? If this is the case yes I have heard good things about rust bullet, I personally use POR 15 but I think the products are somewhat similar. Obviously the right way to do it is to replace the sheetmetal but to help stop the spread of the cancer till you can replace the metal its a good idea
The following users liked this post:
curtjr4 (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70Coronet
I'm assuming your not talking about repairing the rusted areas just trying to stop the rust from getting any worse? If this is the case yes I have heard good things about rust bullet, I personally use POR 15 but I think the products are somewhat similar. Obviously the right way to do it is to replace the sheetmetal but to help stop the spread of the cancer till you can replace the metal its a good idea
Exactly what I needed to know. I don't have enough money in my budget right now to do that type of work, so if Rust Bullet can buy me some time, I'll be very happy.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
again this is temp. fix

if you have a lot of pin holes and a patch job isn't in the works . quick fix with rust bullet/por15/kbs/magic paint is DO all your prep and lay down your firts coat, while tacky lay down a sheet of woven fiberglass mat on top and press it in with the wet brush making the mat all black. aplly a coat or two after when it gets tacky. verry stiff and gives the "paint" something to adhere to instead of flowing out the pin holes. did this in my trunk and front floor boards as a temp. job 4 years ago. still holding up and not leaking water in or out. it is a 'cut out' when i get around to doing the correct right propper repair, but it got the car ,which is my daily ride, on the road.