Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   1980 Power wagon will not start (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/1980-power-wagon-will-not-start-3551/)

Scotteey 07-12-2009 06:06 PM

1980 Power wagon will not start

I have just finished a mild rebuild on a 318 in my dads truck... a couple things are new cam, timing chaien and gears,lifters,pushrods,rockers,edelbrock intake adn edelbrock 500 carb.
Now
1) the fuel pump will not draw any fuel, it is pulsing off the cam lobe but nothing at all, no suction... I pulled of the pump and turned the motor over an can see the lobe working as it should......any idea's???

2) with the distibutor in place and while the truck is turning over you can wee the whole distributor moving as the truck turns over.. what the heck, i have never seen this.....any ideas???

78D200 07-13-2009 01:55 AM

Is that a new pump? If it is the old one, or even a new one, the inturnals could be out of wack. I'd try another one.

Have you pulled the dizzy out and looked at the gear yet? did you install the hold down bolt?

Morrigan_Aria 07-13-2009 08:26 AM

Hope your fuel system from the pump back isn't shot. Mine was; it was the whole problem!

scotts74birds 07-13-2009 10:33 AM

Does it try to fire with ether?

Scotteey 07-13-2009 06:05 PM

Power Wagon wont start

I tried the original pump as well as a new Holley purchased through summit racing, neither of them have any suction when bolted in..Do the pumps need to be primed first??? Like i said before i was using a gas can with about 3ft of hose and it did nothing. When changin the cam and gears should i have put on a new or bugger fuel lobe???

As for the distributor i will pull it out tommorrow and take a look inside. There is a new "o" Ring on it as well as a top gasket. Maybe it was not all the way in (hope nothing broke)

theomahamoparguy 07-13-2009 09:07 PM

pour some gas directly into the carb opening [2 or 3 ounces]. Stand back and try startin her. Be careful, have fire extinguisher handy and old towel in cas it flames up [to smother it]. It should do something if the timing is anywhere near correct. If it does nothing, ya might have ignition issues, if it trys to start than you got fuel pump problems. By the way are you 100% sure you got the fuel lines right. Just checkin'.

scotts74birds 07-13-2009 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by theomahamoparguy (Post 24589)
pour some gas directly into the carb opening [2 or 3 ounces]. Stand back and try startin her. Be careful, have fire extinguisher handy and old towel in cas it flames up [to smother it]. It should do something if the timing is anywhere near correct. If it does nothing, ya might have ignition issues, if it trys to start than you got fuel pump problems. By the way are you 100% sure you got the fuel lines right. Just checkin'.

X2, especially if equipped with a feed and a return line to the tank.

Scotteey 07-15-2009 09:44 AM

power wagon wont start

Hey all,

I replaced the fuel pump with a new factory OEM pump and there is fuel now.... but the truck wont start it turns over well but wont fire.....It did burp a few times and shot flames out the headers but not as if it was goiing to start...the plugs are clean an dry and dont smell of fuel...I will try pouring the gas in the carb tonight..

Is the pump too small for the Edelbrock 1801 500cfm carb???? As for the fuel lines there is an in and an out from the pump and no return line.

I cant wait for this thing to fire up... it will be music to my ears...

Thanks for the help I will get back to you all

78D200 07-15-2009 09:53 AM

Edelbrock carbs like low PSI so you should be finr with 3-7 PSI. I run my j10 at 4.5-5 PSI and that has a Edelbrock 650 carb on it.

challenger 07-15-2009 02:27 PM

as far as not starting i would check all your upgrades to make sure you have installed them correctly -- sounds like its out just a touch with the timing or you might have the dist: out 180* take your time and go through every point possible as you dont want it firing wrong and burning up so take your time :)

Scotteey 07-16-2009 09:57 PM

power wagon wont start

yeeeee hhhaaaaaa !!!!
she started right up tonight.... after installing a third fuel pump, putting in the distributor properly all is good. The distributor was 180 degrees out, I re checked the firing order, lined up the timing with the compression stroke, my wagon fired right up....It scared the crap out of my father as he, nor i was expecting it to start as it did....with open headers in a small garage.....it was loud,, but nice... Thanks for all the help guys!!! I will post some pics in the next little bit as well as keeping you posted on any other mods...Can anyone recommend a mean but not too loud true duel exhaust??? ANd any direction on how to post pics would be appreciated
Thanks again eveyone!!! This form Rocks!!! and all those(us) Mopar muscle heads as well!!!

78D200 07-17-2009 02:51 AM

Way to go! glad to have been able to help.

Polaradude 07-17-2009 02:55 AM

Right on.

67 GTX 07-17-2009 08:47 PM

nice job
H-pipes are good for dual exhaust