General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what it takes to put a Viper motor in a challenger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyone know what it takes to put a Viper motor in a challenger?

Hey guys I have a 1973 Challenger, I am looking for a bigger better motor for it, has original 318 right now. But anyways I found a viper v10, the guy wants 7,000 for it but talked like he would negotiate a better price. It has 6,300 miles on it. Anyways anyone know what it would take to mount it up in the challenger? Would it just be a matter of different motor mounts? Or would there be alot more involved than that? Also it doesnt come with it, but if I did it I would put the viper 6 speed behind it.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time machines here in Florida are the experts at that conversion. Check out their website, it will blow your mind! http://www.timemachinesinc.com/
Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BIG dollars any way you slice it. Are you good at fabricating?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM

we have a local guy who took a full frame out of a dakota pickup, fit the motor and trans in it "apparently much easier" then fit the body over it!! now this doesn't sound easy to me ,but he said he did it in a one car garage at his house.I dont know your capability but you asked for ideas and this is definatly outside the box.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Oldsmobileman
Time machines here in Florida are the experts at that conversion. Check out their website, it will blow your mind! http://www.timemachinesinc.com/
Thanks for the link, its a little bit late now, but I am going to call them tomorrow. I saw that they have already done a viper challenger. So I hope they can tell me what it takes. And hopefully they will tell me straight up and not try to sell me their business lol. And you guys are saying it takes alot of money. What all is going to have to be changed? I mean I know the motor costs some bucks. But I found one for $7,000. But I will have to locate a viper 6 speed. And I'm sure it won't be cheap either. But I mean after that where is all of the money going to be going. The motor I found comes with the computer for the fuel injection and everthing, the guy said if he had a way to hold it still all we would have to do is get some electricity and fuel running to it and it would fire up. Anyone know what kind of fab is going to have to be done? I have seen a couple of different pics of viper challengers and it looks like the motor fits right in there. Tight but it fits. I know the motor mounts will have have to have something done there, most likely some fab work.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcknrolfender79
The motor I found comes with the computer for the fuel injection and everthing, the guy said if he had a way to hold it still all we would have to do is get some electricity and fuel running to it and it would fire up.
Fuel is going to be everything, don't let this guy kid you that you can hook a hose to a tank and it will fire up. You would require a pump producing atleast 40-60 psi just to feed those hungry injectors. Do you have the wiring harness for the car? All those sensors are going to need to be hooked up or "fooled" into thinking they are hooked up. There are many things we are all capable of doing ourselves, but sometimes enlisting the help of a professional could save you a lot of money in the long run. I was once told by a great man that "education costs money," don't buy $7,000 worth of it. Spend a couple of hundred with someone with the proper diagnostics who can tell you wether or not a cylinder is running lean, rich or worst case scenario--toast! Not trying to be Debbie Downer, I have spent toooooo much money on education myself, and it's sometimes just better to be safe than sorry, that's all.....sorry to rant, Howard

P.S. It's a kick *** idea.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Oldsmobileman
Fuel is going to be everything, don't let this guy kid you that you can hook a hose to a tank and it will fire up. You would require a pump producing atleast 40-60 psi just to feed those hungry injectors. Do you have the wiring harness for the car? All those sensors are going to need to be hooked up or "fooled" into thinking they are hooked up. There are many things we are all capable of doing ourselves, but sometimes enlisting the help of a professional could save you a lot of money in the long run. I was once told by a great man that "education costs money," don't buy $7,000 worth of it. Spend a couple of hundred with someone with the proper diagnostics who can tell you wether or not a cylinder is running lean, rich or worst case scenario--toast! Not trying to be Debbie Downer, I have spent toooooo much money on education myself, and it's sometimes just better to be safe than sorry, that's all.....sorry to rant, Howard

P.S. It's a kick *** idea.
Thanks for your advice, And yeah I guessed it would also need a pretty hefty pump but, On the wiring harness....you'll have to excuse me im ignorant to fuel injection. But all I know is the guy said that the comp that was out of the car is with it. And he has the Schematics for it. But I didnt know I would need the rest of the harness for it. And yes I think its a pretty kick *** idea too. I mean everyone always asks, does it got a hemi? lol It would be nice to say no, but you wouldnt believe me if I told you so I'll just show you. Pop the hood and watch 'em cream all over themselves lol. And do you know if they have an intake and distributor to convert them to a carburetor?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 AM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when the v-10 rams came out in the mid 90's, one of the mopar mags had a plum crazy challenger with the iron v-10 fitted in it...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Mopar Lover

I actually found a guy that had a v10 out of a ram. He wants 500 for it. But I have been told the only way you can tune them is by changing everything out to all the viper stuff for it. And I figure after all the time I would spend finding the parts, and the prices I will have to pay for the individual parts would probably put me real close to that 7k I could pay for an actual all aluminum viper motor.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Mopar Lover

back in like 03 a guy did this to a 68 charger ,grey 1, did great job. but it cost him some major money and he had to fab alot of stuff, steering, the firewall. its a tough eandevour.