Bare Metal Finish? How to Preserve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bare Metal Finish? How to Preserve?

Hey guys I got a truck I'm working on and been toying with the idea of taking it down to bare metal and clear coating it.

I did a google search on clear primer as that seems to be the issue with bare metal finishes.. they let the metal rust as there is no primer. The only thing I found was a clear primer from RUST-OLEUM. Linked here: http://www.grainger.com/product/RUST...y-Primer-6PEU5

If I did some digging I could probably find it in a gallon and actually spray it from a gun. Has anyone used this product? Of course I'd want to use something like this and then put a good clear on top of it. Preferably epoxy if it would work with the clear primer.

Anyone have any good ideas or know of another clear primer from a better company like dupont of house of kolor? I dont really like the idea of trusting a predominantly rattle can company lol.. but if it will work and hold up for years than I have no problem with it.

I don't have a place I can keep the truck out of the weather so it will get rained on. And it will be my daily driver. So something that can withstand the elements is a must. I don't mind doing some upkeep to keep it nice and rust free. Although I don't really want to do it every day.

Speaking of bare metal.. you guys gotta see this 68 charger:

http://beforeitsnews.com/motor-junki...e-2480592.html

Not really wanting mine to be this shiny, I'm wanting more of a dull looking bare metal. As its gonna be more along the lines of a rat rod without rust if that makes sense... gonna hand paint a vintage pinup girl on the tail gate. And put our shop name on the doors. Was thinking of going with an old military airplane type theme.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
I would experiment with Scotchbrite followed by good old fashioned paste wax. There was a specific product for this in Mopar Action a few years ago but I don't recall the name. Shoot E-Booger an email, I'll bet he remembers.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.4spd
I would experiment with Scotchbrite followed by good old fashioned paste wax. There was a specific product for this in Mopar Action a few years ago but I don't recall the name. Shoot E-Booger an email, I'll bet he remembers.
Never thought about using wax. Thats a good idea and it would keep moisture out... Is E-Booger on mopar forums?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't think so, unless he's got an alias. He's the tech editor at Mopar Action magazine, heard of it? I think it's published out of NY so it's on newsstands here in NH. Check out their websitehttp://moparaction.com oh I forgot, E-Booger=Rick Ehrenberg.

Last edited by Mr.4spd; 09-03-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: My brain is soft