Bashing the domestic manufacturers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bashing the domestic manufacturers

I'm guessing that most of you guys are like me-you really like cars.So the big question is "why do some 'car' sites go so far out of their way to bash the Big 3?

Nobody can argue that the dynamics of the car industry have really changed and these guys have a fair amount of ammo given the last 3 years.But once they get bored with hacking on the new stuff from Detroit, they'll pick something like a 55 Pontiac and try to compare it to a new Honda.

It's a lot like comparing a Stealth bomber with a B-17.Not really fair.But one thing's for sure-that B-17 was pretty effective in 1943 so what's the point of laughing at it in 2010? That's smug and arrogant and it makes me wonder why these sites even have the word "car" in them.

So we wrote what we thought about it...
http://www.mystarcollectorcar.com/4-...shot-them.html
Attached Thumbnails Bashing the domestic manufacturers-imgp7809.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
I must be out of the loop (don't watch the news, listen to the radio or read the paper).

Who is picking on the classics compairing them to a cheaply made poop of now-a-days? People who know nothing about cars?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I miss the punch line
Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really dont know where he was going either, but the thing that gave the Big 3 the bad rap in my opinion was that spurt of the 80's - 00's it really took the big 3 awhile to catch up with quality and depedebility with the likes of mercedes BMW and toyota

BUT STILL MOPAR OR NO CAR
Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Mopar Lover

With all the crap Toyota is going through now regarding all the recalls for sticking accelerators, brakes and steering issues, I think a lot of people will give the big 3 a new look. I think some of the new cars are really nice, but If I was offered a new Charger or a restored 68 Charger, I would pick the 68. One of my cares is 10 years old, one is 25 years old and the GTX clone is 43 years old. The new cars are nice, but too much money for what you get. When you buy a new car, you immediately start losing money, if you buy the right old car, you stand to make money.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by 62Furious
I miss the punch line
Basically what these sites do is knock the stuffing out of the domestic auto industry-they'll hack on the products, the marketing and the long term strategy.

Granted, the last few years have given them plenty of ammo, but what drives me crazy is that these guys ridicule Detroit's past by picking a car from the last 60 years and evaluating it in 2010 terms.

In other words, they'll take something like a 73 Lincoln and use it to bash how Detroit did business back then.

They'll compare it to something like a VW Golf and ridicule how off the mark it was in 1973.To me that's a lot like talking about the 69 Super Bowl and beating up the Colts from a smug position in 2010 because they couldn't contain Namath.

Usually they have a peanut gallery forum whose mission in life is to see who can write the most anti-GM or Chrysler one liners. Everything is a punch line to these guys and old cars aren't spared...

I guess what we were trying to say is that we wish these guys would put the past in perspective with older domestic iron and leave it out of a debate about the 2010 domestic car industry.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Mopar Lover

The problem is, there is so much dissension in our own "big three". There is a post elsewhere on these forums about a guy trashing the purchase of a Mustang. Give me a break! There are some nice cars on here but many of the people that post here about how bad another car is, have cars that may have likely been crushed not too long ago because they weren't even worth being parts cars. I'm not pointing any fingers, and I have owned some real roaches myself. (some chevy guys would say I still do!) I just didn't "throw stones" at others while I had such a ride.

I am a car guy. That means I like cars and everything that has to do with cars. I have favorites, but I do not smack talk the "competitive" brands because I like all cars. Until we all start to get along, and support each others brands and models, the imports are going to continue to divide and conquer.

Yes, I like Mustangs too, and I would never sabotage one.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 AM

The automotive press writers have for decades bad mouthed the domestic three. I attribute it to their distate for anything union made. Most media groups that influence the publics opinions, radio, tv and the press are owned by the likes of Knight-Ridder, Hearst or Time-Warner, all of whom are anti-labor and have worked to break the unions. When they crunch numbers for comparison purposes of quality and customer satisfaction, they usually rate them 1 through 10. The real math is broken down by tenths of percents (usually a number too small to really quantify a difference), but the one with the best number gets the crown. Sorry for the rant, but I've wanted to air this opinion for a long time.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Mopar Lover

We have alot to make up for
Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy4Carz.Com
The problem is, there is so much dissension in our own "big three". There is a post elsewhere on these forums about a guy trashing the purchase of a Mustang. Give me a break! There are some nice cars on here but many of the people that post here about how bad another car is, have cars that may have likely been crushed not too long ago because they weren't even worth being parts cars. I'm not pointing any fingers, and I have owned some real roaches myself. (some chevy guys would say I still do!) I just didn't "throw stones" at others while I had such a ride.

I am a car guy. That means I like cars and everything that has to do with cars. I have favorites, but I do not smack talk the "competitive" brands because I like all cars. Until we all start to get along, and support each others brands and models, the imports are going to continue to divide and conquer.

Yes, I like Mustangs too, and I would never sabotage one.
I agree. I have my favorites but there is a lot to like in other brands old and new.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by old tired rebel
I agree. I have my favorites but there is a lot to like in other brands old and new.
old? Yes. New? NO! Cost a mint, value drops like a rock, cheaply made too much plastic; one looks so much like the others; too much electronic crap (needless at that) but that's everybody. Would I EVER buy a Toyota? NO. but that was the same before and after these recalls.
I just finished an engine swap in a buddy's truck. 83 Chev 3/4 ton.
I drive an 83 D 250 with a carbureted 318 every day. I had a 97 Ram. I could not wait to go get my '83, when I won the auction for it on Ebay. I went 335 miles to go bring that one, home each way. Got it from smack dab, center of Wisconsin!
It's so much a better truck than the 94+ it ain't even funny. it's definitely better on gas than my 97 was.
Why do you think the newest things I have are Jeeps with the 4.0 straight 6? and a 78 Fury. and a Volare. I have NEVER owned a front wheel drive anything. Never will. Next vehicle I buy as a daily driver, will be either another straight 6 Jeep or else a 318 powered conversion van. if I can find one rustfree, carbureted would be great.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Mopar Fan

Maybe the US of A failed by letting the imports take control of the market.
By offering better gas mileage, cheaply made plasticy four banging or transverse V-6 front wheel drive high maintenance disposible cars fooled the general public into thinking it was a better deal.
Who would restore a Honda or Toyota? It would cost more than it's worth and c'mon those cars aren't really that cool anyways. This is a Mopar forum.....
By owning a 60's Buick, 70's Mopar, 80's K-5 Blazer and a millenium Ford F-150 I'm keeping American's employed. And yeah, I know the land of the rising sun is employing people in the US but, the big picture is still bring money away from the US and us, the people who live here.
I guess the point is if we as American's buy American from the big 3, there would no reason to look at imports.

BTW, The people bashing the big 3 are only guests posing to be Americans.
Think about it.......
Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Everything good comes to an end. I wish time had stopped in the late 1960's, and Ralph Nader had been convinced to leave politics. Instead he and his idiot buddies forced a change in performance. That is where the imports took hold of the market and never looked back, we sub contract to the import companies to build parts for domestics ie. the Duramax. Around 1970 companies like Plymouth started building smaller, cheaper, lighter cars like the Duster with the same engines available in the Cuda's. Competition between multiple cars in the same Company is not good strategy. I guess the cronies got what they were after because even the throw back Cameros and Challengers are still out of most average income price range so all the people that the car companies originally had been targeting for purchasing muscle still cant manage it. Oh ya and mystar the Stealth Bomber has been out of service for a decade, being an aircraft in the air force is kind of like being a computer on the market, it takes an incredible amount of money to stay on top.

P.S. Smart car what?

Last edited by 73barracuda; 02-27-2010 at 11:37 AM.