Got to visit my GTX clone at the body shop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got to visit my GTX clone at the body shop.

This last Saturday, I went to drop off some parts where my car is having body and paint done. This is a private party doing the work. I had him paint a work truck for me last fall and he did such a good job, I am having him do my car. He is cleaning up a mess from someone else who tried painting it before and did such a bad job, I decided to do it over.

Joe (my body man) spent several hours just aligning body panels. All the gaps look really good. I feel confident that I have the right man on the job. He plans to paint doors, fenders, trunk and hoods off of the car which will result in a quality job.

Yes, I said hoods. The reason for that is because I looked for correct 67 GTX scoops and could not find any that were any good or that I could afford, so I kind of gave up and drilled my hood for standard Dart scoops. Since then, I did find a correct set of scoops and stepped up and paid the price for them (painful, but a good kind of pain). On Craigslist, I came across a very nice Belvedere II hood for $80, so I pciked that up and I will have the correct scoops mounted on the extra hood. I felt it was a perfect time to do this before anything gets painted. Now I will be able to switch hoods if I want to and have a different look.

After about 3.5 years of BS, I think I am less than 30 days from having the car properly painted and ready to have the drive train installed. When I get it from the body shop, I will trailer the car to a buddy's (Larry) house where we will do the final assembly fall. It is a crappy time of year to finish a car in Oregon because it rains pretty much all the time from October to late May. I am sure there will be a few nice days when I can get the car out and get some breakin miles on it (with ZDDPin it).

Anyhow, just wanted to share a bit. I am sure there are others of you who have been down this road and can understand how I am feeling.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it will all be worth it when it is done
just keep thinking that
Old 09-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Little Demon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like it will be pretty cool, good luck with everything