Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   help! (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/help-2992/)

warlock139 05-08-2009 08:50 AM

help!

I'm new here and I hope I'm in the right place at the right time...I have a brother in law who recently purchased a 85 dodge truck with a 340 4 barrel holley 390 cmf...the linkage appears to be missing something (it only seems to be working with 2 of the four when you kick it down) I've looked all over the internet trying to find a diagram of the possible way's the linkage should be hooked up but I've had no luck...does anyone know where I might find this info, I hate to see a good motor not run the way it should...thanks..I should add that the engine came out of a 72 duster that was wrecked..don't know if that will help or not but thought the info might be helpful.

scotts74birds 05-08-2009 12:25 PM

Dont want to talk down to you, but, are you sure its not a vacuum secondary? I dont want to be Captain Obvious but, do you know the difference between a vacuum and mechanical secondary carb?

rogers66 05-08-2009 04:10 PM

Haynes makes a Holly carb book. Go down to the library and see if they have a copy. If not, go get one from the parts house (abt $20). That'll answer all your questions.

johnthegoalie 05-08-2009 05:59 PM

the 390 holley is a vacuum secondary - i had one for a little while, the loss of secondaries was why i switched it out...

scotts74birds 05-08-2009 06:37 PM

Ok Warlock , Im going to help you here. What you need to do is to find if the vacuum secondary is working. There is a Round thingy on the rear two barrels with a vacuum line going to it. You need to connect a mighty vac or other device to it and apply a vacuum to see if this still functions. If you dont have this tool, I recommend attaching a longer hose and have a girlfriend, or any single woman inhale on the tube and see if the secondaries open. DO NOT ask a wife or any other married woman to do this due to the fact, that for some reason, married women are no longer able to generate significant vacuum. Good luck!:D

Polaradude 05-09-2009 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by scotts74birds (Post 19070)
Ok Warlock , Im going to help you here. What you need to do is to find if the vacuum secondary is working. There is a Round thingy on the rear two barrels with a vacuum line going to it. You need to connect a mighty vac or other device to it and apply a vacuum to see if this still functions. If you dont have this tool, I recommend attaching a longer hose and have a girlfriend, or any single woman inhale on the tube and see if the secondaries open. DO NOT ask a wife or any other married woman to do this due to the fact, that for some reason, married women are no longer able to generate significant vacuum. Good luck!:D

Now thats funny...lmao:D

warlock139 05-09-2009 09:10 AM

My hat's off to all of you...It was the vacuum secondary...of course if I had payed more attention to how ALL the vacuums were setup I might have cought on quicker...half the vacuums in the truck were just short pieces of tubing with pencils jammed in them...who ever put the motor in the truck must have been in a big hurry...but I'm still going to have him get the haynes manual..becouse along with rigging all the vacumes that linkage just looks wrong...I'll admit it's been a long time since I've seen a holley this old...but it just looks wrong..and as for the girlfriend thing...a ex wife should be able to do the job like a expert......Thanks again and I'm having my brother in law sign on to this group...