Kieth black pistons

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kieth black pistons

hey all I wanted to share some parts info w/ you. My buddy had a machin shop build him a 440 and he used the black hyperutectic pistons, I warned him against so, I have heard nothing of bad about them. but he did, when they fired the motor it wouldnt stay running. they downed the motor and 2 or the pistons busted above #1 ringland. they replaced the pistons. then they fired the motor again, and the same thing. so they downed it again and found 3 more pistons, the same way. I have heard so many horor stories about theese things being trash parts. wrist pin faliure, skirts shrinkng after 20-30 thou. miles and haveing excessive piston slap. I told him to call them and ask for his money back. Buyer beware, i use trw`s exclusivly.forged only. to each his own. but with all the negative hype ive heard, I wouldnt buy theese pistons to give as ashtray gifts to my freinds that smoke.LOL
Old 01-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Chevy parts in a Mopar, tsk tsk. There's yer problem right there...
Old 01-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Mopar Lover

I will keep you posted. I saw them today. almost 3 inchs of the tops of 3 broke off clean. then they were blown out the exhaust. 4 of the other pst. have edges broken off the edges like it got really lean and started to melt. but when you look at the cylinders, and the bottom of the heads. they arent white from a lean con. they are very black, proving they were rich. and the plugs were brown. not flat white. the motor only ran for 15 min. the machine shop guy talked w/ me in length about several motors he put together for the local mopar crowd. hes had problems extensivly with wrist pin hole oblonging, warped skirt issues. and piston slap on cold starts and stayed until operating temp. My experience tells me that when you use cheap parts, you get cheap parts. Im not knocking anybody. its just my opinion. they are a little more then half the price of forged pistons. My buddy said they will prolly offer him another set to replace theese. he smiled and said, they can cram them. well you get the point. He said only forged from now on for him too. I think a few smokers are getting new ashtrays for x-mas next year, but not from me, from my buddy. id send them back to black`s along w/ the video interview w. mopar collectors guide tlling the mopar world about theyre great products.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Mopar Lover

well done, TRW's or bust.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
wow what a bumer rr that sucks as i always thought KB parts were great and always wanted to try one of there mp aluminum high deck blocks but guess ill second guess myself and say naa'' but is that engine builder sure he had the bore straight and round ? just asking but im sure he did and was this build for a stroker ?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Mopar Lover

hey chally, no it was just a mid level performer 440. .30 over .509 cam. the block and machine work were right on. This guy does all my machining and head work.Ive never had a prob. with him or his work. In fact ive had him correct ome work on a buddy`s 440 that another machine shop did way wrong.some of blacks stuff im sure is great. but I know from first hand that the hyper. pistons are not hat they are touted to be. and the sad part is. my buddy went through this twice, and he doesnt have any recourse with the co. isnt it strange, If my buddy was , garlits ,or landy hed have gotten all the support and help from them they could offer, but some average shmoe, doesnt get the a rating or time of day. I had a prob. w/ an ede. intake years ago. i called the co. rep. told him what happened. and i had a new intake in 3 days. and a personal apology from him for what happened. thats stand up. the first time, he didnt get an apology. just sent him 2 new pst. and there ya go.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
I've only really heard about Chevy guys using those pistons and having good luck with them. When I built my 383, I went .030 over and used eagle pisons and rods. Those were a good set.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Mopar Fan

I had the same problem with a 360. I had a problem blowing head gaskets and every time I pulled one of the heads off, there would be a couple of pistons broke at the edges. They were kieth black 11:1 pistons.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
well im glad to get the low down on them and i will surely never use them but one day i still might try there aluminum block but who no's , its a shame that they didn't even say sorry i guess we all live and learn but when it comes to money i just hate it when it happens that way
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Mopar Lover

I dont know 66, I guess its like any big name co. You sell enough of them that a few bad apples dont spoil the whole barrel.They make more dough on the bigger parts, blocks ,heads, etc.and they came out w/ the hypers. to sell to the small guy, big name reacers, and money boys, use bigger and better rods& pst. eagle, ross, etc. I can only pass on the happenings I hear or see to other moparites, and let them know what they could face.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
unfortanitely there are a lot of companies out there that just do not care about the little people that much. I am sure that we have all been there.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's good to hear the good & bad feed back , for future buyer's that is .
mmm i 've also heard of them in a 360 that went hard for around 5000 miles then kaaboom . he also blamed the kb - hyp pistons . i was told to follow the ring gap recommendations from kb to the line . cya's