Manufacturing

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manufacturing

Kind of new to cars, completely new to the forum. One thing I was hoping to get some information on was where many of the major brands manufacture. Are all the respected brands still making parts in the US? Have some brands moved overseas to save on manufacturing costs? Which ones?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Mopar Lover

alot of the model specific parts are done here in the us. but general pcs. electronics, multiple model parts are mass poped in chine, or some freakin place. Things like wing car parts. Grill pcs. tail light lenses. those are good ol us made.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice try, we're not writing your term paper for you...
Old 12-08-2010, 02:49 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by johnthegoalie
LOL
Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Not a term paper...but close. I am in design school and doing a project about manufacturing. Specifically, what people think about manufacturing of goods. I am looking at a number of industries and the car enthusiasts is one of them. So, do you all know of any brands that have moved manufacturing overseas? If so, do you even care?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, tell ya what, I work at the factory. And yes, some parts, and assembly's are still made here. Others made here, by foreign companies. And some made by American companies, overseas. The Cheby Aveo is Korean made by Daewoo, and badged by Cheby. Of course we all care. In an odd twist, Chrysler will be making minivans badged for VW! And my plant may even begin making a Lancia badged car! As a worker, I am actually more concerned about auto sub-assembly's coming into the assembly plant in larger and larger "modules". I.E., the engine, trans, k-frame, front suspension, steering, coming in as one complete piece. Built-up by non-union, minimum-wage, temporary employees from staffing agencies. Yes, the manufacturer has policies in place to penalize the contractor for defects. But when you are sitting on the side of the road, you are not cussing-out the contractor. You're bitching at the name on the hood! This is what happens when accountants have more say than engineers. We had a saying in the Army, "Your weapon was made by the Lowest bidder!"
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM
thinkin with me dipstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the only things made here anymore are pool noodles and wiffle *****...
Old 12-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I completely understand your point about when my car breaks down, I only know to blame the factory/brand. The average consumer knows very little about the inter-workings of the manufacturing process.

What about aftermarket parts. I've gone to the websites of numerous parts companies and many claim to be made in the US. Examples are (and please don't be offended if I list brands that are not for the Mopar group

AFR Pistons
Crower
CP Carrillo
Eagle
Edelbrock
Flowmaster
JE Pistons
Probe
Ross Pistons
Tial

When you buy parts, do you look to see if they are made here?

Also, are there any other major brands that I should consider looking at, made here or overseas.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by johnthegoalie

LOLOL x2
Old 12-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now you're starting to sound like a marketing researcher!