Need Advice 16-Year Old Factory Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice 16-Year Old Factory Spark Plugs

At present the engine has 50,000 original miles. The spark plugs, and everything else under the hood except battery, filters, and external drive belts are original.

The engine has developed a miss at idle and just off-idle especially when put into gear and the gas pedal is applied. The miss seems to largely go away as the engine warms up but idle is defintely not dead-smooth.

The car was smogged and it passed handily (all readings were well less than the limits on the test sheet) a year and a half ago. The engine check light works, and I have cycled the key and the blinking light indicates no stored codes.

I can get Bosch, Autolite and Champion platinum spark plugs down here, and I would like and appreciate comments as to which are seeminly the best for durability. Spark plugs cost almost ten dollars each, so I really would prefer to not have to experiment.

The car has an automatic transmission with functioning overdrive and lockup torque converter. It seems to be getting around 24 - 28 mpg depending on the road and air conditioning use. It uses less than an eighth of a quart of 5W-30 oil before an oil change at 4,000 miles.

The age of the spark plugs and the cold idle miss bother me a little. All the hoopla says to not worry about changing spark plugs before 80,000 miles.

I have zero experience with this engine or anything newer than 1990's technology. I am terrified that if I try to change spark plugs they will strip out the aluminum heads because they are so old. Actually because of semi-disability I cannot do the changing and this -really- worries me.

I am 1,500 miles south of the US border and there are very few V-6 3.0 engines that have not gone the beer can route.

The engine compartment is clean (dusty) and nothing seems to be corroded. What are the chances of an uneventful spark plug changing operation? Getting a torque wrench to the rear plugs looks like a nightmare.

Along with the spark plugs, should I change out the plug wires, distributor cap and rotor? Any tips on especially good (reliable) brands?

I guess I should resign myself to having the camshaft drive belts and tensioner pulleys replaced soon (at 60,000 miles). Also a new water pump unless this sounds extravagant. The inside of the radiator is pristine clean.

Should I allow only an authorized dealer service the automatic transmission? I have heard some horror stories about these cars needing nothing but factory fluid and maintenance technique.

I have a very poor internet connection that I struggled with to register on this forum. Would it be too much trouble to ask to have replies sent to my email address?

mexbungalows@gmail.com

I really appreciate any help, suggestions or comments.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have extreamly good luck with autolite plugs,