In Need of INFO

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Hi, an aside to all of you. Please don't PM me with questions. Post them publicly here. If I'm not here, I'm just not here

I haven't been to San Diego since the mid -70's, therefore I have no idea of who a reputable engine builder is down there.

I am however, sure of two things:

There are many poor ones, even dishonest

There has to be a few good ones. All I can suggest is to find some local car clubs and go from there. Check with people like the Better Business Bureau and other organizations.

DO however, consider this: Just because a business has been there "forever" does not mean they do quality work.

When I was down there, a good friend wanted to "fix up" a good, reliable little Chevy II, just to drive. He rebuilt the stocker '6 and put in a 4 speed. The shop he took it to had been in business since forever, and was hooked up to a local longtime parts store.

He took the block and head to them, and said, "make this block ready for pistons and rings. Make this head ready to reinstall."

They honed the block, leaving the taper, the wear, and the top ridge!!!!!

They surfaced the block---AND MILLED THE LOCATER PINS RIGHT OFF FLUSH!!!!

They ground the valves, and did NOTHING about what turned out to be incredibly worn stems and guides!!

This was a long time ago--I don't remember the other details. We never shopped at that (National City) parts store ever again!!