Newb with car trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb with car trouble

Hey all!! New guy to the site and pretty new with mopar. Only been into them since '04 when I got a '70 Charger project and been hooked since.

Recent car is a '78 Monaco, never had this much trouble with any car. Car sat outside for 15 years, i'll skip all the fun stuff and get straight to my problem.

As you know it came with a lean burn, and the mice chewed thru most of the wires so ditched that first off. Went with points just to get it going, they lasted for about 6 months with numerous adjustments. Here's what happened, car was running fine until I got caught in a rain shower one day and it started to miss and pop. Figured it was moisture in the dist. cap so I changed it. Now it won't run at all, checked and rechecked everything. Getting power everywhere it should, new spark plugs, coil, ballast resistor and pertronix instead of points. Has fuel, spark, timed right(even removed valve cover and watched rockers). Only thing I haven't done yet is compression test, can't see all 8 quitting but who knows.

Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
You don't need all 8 to quit, just one or two really. I would do a compression test. You have a spark plug test light to make sure that you are getting spark to the spark plugs? You can see fuel squirt in the carb?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:09 PM

Used a timing light and it flashes, also removed a plug and grounded it to make sure i had good spark. Looked down the carb and watched the fuel squirt. This thing is driving me crazy!! I must be missing something simple. I've got air, fuel, spark, timing...just need to check compression I guess.

When I first changed the cap it would try to run but hesitate like the timing was too far advanced but I never moved it. I backed it off and now nothing.:banghead:
Old 06-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try starting over with the plugs and wires. Make sure everything is right. Do you know how to check the timing is on tdc on the compression stroke? Put the timing back where it was. By the way a timing light only fires for one cylinder not all eight. Do not throw any more parts at it. It was runnin, ,so it still should. You said the trouble started with changing the cap. First you should have cleaned it and sprayed wd40 in there not just replace things. As you see that has not worked yet and is causing frustation. My guess is the wires are off by one, cuz the problem started when you changed the cap. Not saying you are dumb we all did and some times still do it. Double check all the simple things first. If you have spark then no new parts are needed.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM

bboogieart you nailed it. For some reason I put the wires on exactly as they were but they needed to be moved around one. I guess it's possible my timing jumped a tooth....or i'm just an idiot! Either way it's alive.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great call Boogie!