Opinions needed on building my engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions needed on building my engine!!

I have started saving up to do some stuff to my 880 in the spring, the car is mostly all original, and its a 4 door so I don't want to do anything radical to it. I was wondering what you guys would do to the engine to get a little better performance out of it. This is my first classic, so I don't really know what to do or where to begin. I don't want it to lose its originality, but I would love to get a little more horsepower gain out of it. It runs fine, there is nothing wrong with the engine. It has a 361 big block, 2bbl.

My thoughts were headers, 4bbl, and a cam. Should I leave the heads, or should I get newer heads for it that are for unleaded fuel? Any opinions are welcomed.

Also this isn't something I want to race, its just my cruiser, but I just want it to have a little get up and go when I punch the gas!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
If it runs fine but, you're set on doing something.....
Dual exhaust would be first and it looks like that is already on the car. The next would be a 4 bbl intake and carb. Edelbrock and Edelbrock would be my choice. Headers for that car won't be an easy find and I wouldn't take the motor apart until something actually needed to be repaired internally. Then it gives you all of the excuses to "upgrade"!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Mopar Fan

Well of course I'm set on doing something, I can't leave anything as it is! I have already put dual exhaust on it. That was the first thing I did to the car, when I bought the car the exhaust was pretty much shot on it, and I thought that would be a good excuse to go ahead and put on the exhaust I want.

I didn't have a hard time at all finding headers for the car. Here's a link to the site I found, I think this is what I need, but I could be wrong. They're only around $200.00 as well, which I thought was a fair price.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QH5678030.html

But I kinda agree with you, I really hate tearing into the engine, unless I really need to!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Mopar Lover

That's great! I looked for headers for my first Fury and Hooker was the only company that had a listing for them. I looked at your pictures and that car is really sweet!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Mopar Fan

I appreciate the compliment man, I really like your car as well! I love that shade of blue! Have any plans for it? I think I'm just gonna do some minor stuff to my engine, and put a set of wheels and tires on it, and just drive it!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Mopar Lover

My plans and your plans are very similar.

I installed the dual exhaust first, with Stage 3 Flowmasters, as the original system was leaking. Maybe a 4 bbl and an intake but, the car runs almost perfect now so, I'm not going to mess with it until I have to. When I do install the 4bbl intake and carb, I am going to install a set of the factory 383/440 Magnum exhaust manifolds for the stock look and I'll have to find a dual snorkel air cleaner.
She has a couple of blemishes in the paint and I plan on eventually having her straightened up and block sanded before paint.
I'm going to buy a set of 15" x 7" Magnum 500s with whitewalls someday down the road and the 15"s in the event that I ever put disc brakes on the front. 14"s won't clear the calipers.
I just installed a set of KYB Gas Adjust shocks on the rear which tightened her up a bit and they worked so good that I went back and bought a set for the front.
On my last '68 Fury III, I found that a factory rear sway bar from a '72 Charger was a bolt in swap and made a HUGE difference in the way that the car drove. I am looking for another and if I can't find one.... I'll order an aftermarket rear sway bar. This will probably be my next upgrade.

She's fun to drive, sounds good, the A.M. radio works sometimes , and I get thumbs up from non 'car people'!

What more could you ask for? lol

Last edited by Silverick; 11-28-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Scott if you want to play with an engine just look on craigslist and buy one that way you will have the original one if you decide to sell
Old 11-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Mopar Fan

Yeah it does sound like our plans are very similar! I bet your car sounds awesome. I wanted flowmaster, but the price is so expensive, so I opted for Thrush welded mufflers, which impressed me when I heard her fire up! Here is a link to my youtube page that shows a video of my exhaust if you're interested... http://www.youtube.com/user/scottie2.../2/CUUBrOhGjHA

I really like the magnum 500 wheels, I think they'll look good on your car! I'm not really sure yet what route I wanna go with on mine! I was thinking about a 20'' cragar or torque thrust. I was also thinking about swapping my front brakes to disc, I think the benefit of it would be great! I've read a little bit about it on this site, I need to put shocks on mine too really bad! I'm thinking adjustable gas shocks as well!

I left my factory AM radio in the dash but I mounted a CD player under my seat, and put a 6x9 in the front dash where the original speaker was, and same for the rear, it actually works out really well for me, and its completely out of site.

Definitely keep me posted on all the updates you do to your car! I think you've got a really sweet ride! my body is really straight on mine, but there are some blemishes in the paint as well. most of the paint is original on my car, so its just kinda worn! I wet sanded it and buffed it, and I was able to bring back a lot of its luster, but I think in the next couple years I'll have her painted again!

62furious, I have thought the same thing, just buying me an old 440 or something off of craigslist, and putting that in my car! and I have been able to find them pretty cheap too!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Mopar Lover

I checked out your video.
Nice machine you have there and I think that your mufflers are a bit louder than mine.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks man, I like the aggressive tone of a flowmaster. I think my mufflers are just a little too loud personally! I think next set I have put on will be a little quieter! Thrush offered a couple different options, I went for the ones geared toward muscle cars. But I might pony up the next time and get the 40 or 50 series flowmasters!

How long have you owned your car? Do you show it often? Do you get decent mileage?....I can pull off about 16-18
Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Mopar Lover

The Flowmasters that I have are the 3 chamber and I think they're the 50 series. I have the 2 chamber 40 series on my pickup and they are too noisy.... at times.

I've had my Fury since August. I was looking for a B body and kept coming across this Fury so, I went to take a look and drove her home. I had a '68 Fury III Fasttop a long time ago and wish that I'd never sold it.

I named this one "Abigail" and have taken her to 2 shows. She gets a bit of focus and I can get about 16 mpg out of her.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Mopar Fan

I like the name! I bet she does get a lot of focus, you don't see a lot of them around! I originally wanted an old 2 door mopar of some kind, but the price of them are so high....no matter what model you're looking at. I just happened to find this on craigslist last march and she was priced super reasonable, so I decided to get it. I have always liked classic 4 door cars anyways! I haven't put mine in any shows yet, although I intend to next summer!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Mopar Lover

The first show that I took her to in South San Francisco, I parked outside on the street because I just went to look at the cars. When I was going through the gate, the guy at the gate asked me if I just parked that Fury? I said yes and he told me to bring that Fury in! I told him that I hadn't paid and he pointed to a spot for me to park and told me to buy a t-shirt! So, I did! The second show was at Golden Gate Park and is called Jimmy's Old Car Picnic.
If you have Facebook, there's a group called "I love Jimmy's Old Car Picnic". Good pictures and there is a good Mopar turnout every year .
Old 11-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Mopar Fan

Thats gotta make you feel good when the guy at the gate basically makes you enter your car! Its nice to feel like your car deserves to be there! You don't know how much I envy you for living in california, you can drive your car year round, your body is probably very solid since there isn't any salt on the roads in the winter! Here in Indiana I can usually only drive mine from april-october, which saddens me because when its nice out, its my main mode of transportation!

I added the group to my facebook! I could look at old cars online all day long! Every been to www.carsinbarns.com ? its a cool site!