steering a 71 duster

Old 10-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
steering a 71 duster

I've done some searching and haven't found exactly what I was looking for. I'm considering swopping out the manual steering box in my 71 Duster 318 for a power steer unit to make it easier for SWMBO to drive. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what will and wont fit?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
This "can" be complicated

"Watch" the "what year" you obtain for a box. Sometime around 73 the box splines were changed to what everybody calls the "big spline" pitman shaft. This of course means your old pitman won't fit.

Depending on "what you run into" for parts, let's say you happen across a parts car or complete front end, perhaps a 73 / later with disc brakes.

There are FOUR pieces from 68--7X which must go together in the steering. They are the box, which dictates the pitman shaft, the pitman arm and ider arm, and the center link. This is because there was a change in these three pieces in 73. On one "set" the pitman / idler studs all face up, and on the other set they all face down.

IF you get a box compatible with what you have now (probably original) center link, this issue is not a problem

The power box shaft is LONGER than a manual. This means you need a "power steering" column shaft. However "some of the guys" take their column--which has a plastic sliding assembly for crash protection.......and hammer or otherwise shock the shaft to collapse it far enough to 'convert' the manual shaft to a power (length) shaft. This breaks the retaining pins in the plastic. The two shafts have flat sides, and many claim this works just fine.

"I don't know"

======================

Dependiing on headers / later exhaust manifolds you may have interference there.

Obviously you'll need compatible pulleys and power steering pump and mount.