Suggestion on a 72 bird restoration

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I agree with Gilesie.

I think you should step back a few steps and take a good look at the big picture. If you start building, rebuilding, breaking, and replacing engines and parts, pretty soon you'll have a lot of money invested in broken parts.

What I'm saying is, ON A SMALL BUDGET getting that kind of HP out of a 340 is not cheap, nor for the inexperienced. You'll cut corners, and you'll blow things up.

If this car is in ANY way a car that is unique,-- and you should research it to find out---then you don't want to be tearing it up with swapping in a BB, because you'll destroy the collector value, if there is any. There is a reason why "numbers matching" cars are worth more. It means that sombody hasn't hacked the car up with mismatched parts.

A completely stock 340 Mopar is a lot of fun to drive. All it has to do is output the honest HP it was built with. Quite franky, I doubt you have ever strapped on anything approaching 600HP.

By the way, I had my old '70 RR six pack car back when the first "fuel crisis" of the early '70's "hit." I had lost the original 440, and swapped a low miles 340 into the car. This is something that Chrysler did NOT do in '70, and should have. That engine, with only headers added, would get over 18mpg on the freeway, and would beat a good running, stock 383 RR. It was still fun to drive, cornered much better than the BB, and got great mileage. Even if you "lost" it was a lot of fun to lift the hood, and with the huge "six pack" flags, watch some jaw drop when they saw that "ittle bitty" engine down there.