TTI Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Hell kitten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTI Headers

Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Header-TTI...BB2headers.htm

Being recommended for my Max Wedge build in my 67 Belve from Mancini.

I personally loathe headers, so I am NOT excited about this. I just can't use the original style maifolds due to clearance issues. I had really wanted to maintain a more stock appearance with this car. >_<

Anyway, chrome is being recommended. I also have black header wrap. Or ceramicoat is also offered.

Opinions on these headers? Read they are better than Hooker, etc etc. On the various coatings/wraps?

I appreciate it!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
I have not used them myself but a lot of the Drag Pak guys are running them on their cars... For the coating I use Nitro Plate for that. Their brite finish looks like chrome to me... And they stand behind their work.. good people to work with..... JMO........
Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Aria
Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Header-TTI...BB2headers.htm

Being recommended for my Max Wedge build in my 67 Belve from Mancini.

I personally loathe headers, so I am NOT excited about this. I just can't use the original style maifolds due to clearance issues. I had really wanted to maintain a more stock appearance with this car. >_<

Anyway, chrome is being recommended. I also have black header wrap. Or ceramicoat is also offered.

Opinions on these headers? Read they are better than Hooker, etc etc. On the various coatings/wraps?

I appreciate it!
stock manifold = dog doo doo .
mmmm 2" primary's may hurt low-end torque/power ??? i think 1 7/8" stepped into 2" would be best for a street car .
i would choose ceramic coat with thermal coat would be best .
i have read that using exhaust wrap makes headers crack i don't know for sure but have read this a few times . although i have the wrap on my headers . all the best keep us informed & whats the latest ?? & what have these guy's been recommending so far any spec's ??????????????
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TTI

I just put them on my 440. They fit the best from what I have read, and they look awesome. I did have to change my starter to a mini, but I have heard that is common. This is the article I used for my research.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...hmn_tips3.html
Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Hell kitten

Originally Posted by deadkelly
stock manifold = dog doo doo .
mmmm 2" primary's may hurt low-end torque/power ??? i think 1 7/8" stepped into 2" would be best for a street car .
i would choose ceramic coat with thermal coat would be best .
i have read that using exhaust wrap makes headers crack i don't know for sure but have read this a few times . although i have the wrap on my headers . all the best keep us informed & whats the latest ?? & what have these guy's been recommending so far any spec's ??????????????
OK Dead, but you have to admit the MW manifolds work well. They are NOT "doo doo". LOL. Those headers do come in a smaller diameter, but I'd have to look. I believe it was 1.75" or 1.5". How are your headers holding up with the wrap and how long has it been on?

Should have the motor proposals next week, guy working on it is out of town.

Originally Posted by 68 Sat
I just put them on my 440. They fit the best from what I have read, and they look awesome. I did have to change my starter to a mini, but I have heard that is common. This is the article I used for my research.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...hmn_tips3.html
Oh, good call on the starter and thanks for the info! I'll def check it out. What finish did you opt for and how long have you had them in?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Mopar Lover

Morrigan, those TTI's will fit perfect but do you have any sources for a real set of max wedge manifolds. (Basically they were cast iron hedders). I think the maxie manifolds is part of "the look" for the max wedge. I would imagine the price for an original set of MW manifolds would be astronomical but I wonder if anybody is reproducing them. . I know someone is repro-ing the HP 440 manifolds. Oh well, just my .02.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Mopar Lover

I'm sorry, didn't see the cause for the fitment issues. DOH! ( I still think you could make them fit but you might have to move the engine forward a little or do some mods to the firewall (not good).
Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Whenever I see header reccomondations TTI's are always on top of the list. The only neg thing I have heard about them is the price $$$$.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Hell kitten

Originally Posted by theomahamoparguy
Morrigan, those TTI's will fit perfect but do you have any sources for a real set of max wedge manifolds. (Basically they were cast iron hedders). I think the maxie manifolds is part of "the look" for the max wedge. I would imagine the price for an original set of MW manifolds would be astronomical but I wonder if anybody is reproducing them. . I know someone is repro-ing the HP 440 manifolds. Oh well, just my .02.
Yes, they are being reproduced. Mancini Racing has them for a cool $895.

I'm sorry, didn't see the cause for the fitment issues. DOH! ( I still think you could make them fit but you might have to move the engine forward a little or do some mods to the firewall (not good).
Fitment issues: Well, earlier (65 and earlier) B Bodies had the motor 1.5" more forward in the engine compartment than 66 and later cars. By this, I mean, as you face the engine compartment, the engine would be 1.5" closer to you, away from the firewall. Not a problem, I thought, at first, except maybe fan/radiator clearance. I have not verified the placement of the motor in a pre and post 65 myself, but if Schumaker and TTI (whom I spoke with about my exhaust and not the headers) and Accurate Exhaust Products all tell me the same thing, I am pretty sure it's right. After all, this is their living (the last two reproduce MW exhaust systems, among other things).

Well, not even Schumaker in Seattle makes an adapter to do that 1.5" move forward. I asked. I would have to fabricate an add-on plate. Again, non-issue, right? Then, of course, the trans mount would have to be relocated. Getting worse...and then, a new drive line would have to be made. Add this on top of the already semi-custom max wedge exhaust I wanted to run and this portion alone will run me around 2K.

The other alternative? Equally as ugly.

The passenger Max Wedge exhaust manifold makes a tight ram curl, and at the factory 1967 motor location, this will directly impact on....my firewall. Right where it meets my floor pan, right at the passenger's feet. So I would have to cut both my firewall and floorpan and fabricate something to accomodate that manifold, something about 6" and 6". Ouch. And ugly. Right on the floor.

So basically, I have four evils. 1) rearrange everything in the drivetrain 2) cut my car up 3) use other manifolds or 4) use headers. I hate headers for the record.

I spoke with David Hakim (formerly of MP and now of Mancini Racing) and he says to suck it up and buy the TTI headers. Save some , save the headache and hassle, increase my HP and my exhaust will be cheaper to have done locally in a Max Wedge-style with the exhaust dumps.

Originally Posted by 72RDRNR
Whenever I see header reccomondations TTI's are always on top of the list. The only neg thing I have heard about them is the price $$$$.
Yes, they are spendy, close to the cost of the repro MW manifolds actually, if I want the ceramicoat. Chrome will run me $691.

Ouch.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Mopar Lover

I remember back in the day (80's) someguys would put the newer K (66+) in their '65 and older racecars. supposedly to gain some engine setback. (better weight transfer, just a little but the tech guys would not notice it, mostly the super stock racers, {I used to know one or two}. I wonder if you could do the reverse, use a pre '65 or older K frame in your 67. I am not sure if I like the Idea of setting the engine forward (there's enough weight up there already) but you gotta admit those wild looking MW manifolds might be worth it. You just gotta make'm fit somehow.
(don't ya like it when someone else can dreams with YOUR money)
I'm just givin ya a hard time..........You need to do what is right for you.
I tell that to people in this hobby all the time.
YOU GO GIRL!! (hahaha)!!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Hell kitten

I remember back in the day (80's) someguys would put the newer K (66+) in their '65 and older racecars. supposedly to gain some engine setback. (better weight transfer, just a little but the tech guys would not notice it, mostly the super stock racers, {I used to know one or two}. I wonder if you could do the reverse, use a pre '65 or older K frame in your 67. I am not sure if I like the Idea of setting the engine forward (there's enough weight up there already) but you gotta admit those wild looking MW manifolds might be worth it. You just gotta make'm fit somehow.
(don't ya like it when someone else can dreams with YOUR money)
I'm just givin ya a hard time..........You need to do what is right for you.
I tell that to people in this hobby all the time.
YOU GO GIRL!! (hahaha)!!

Hmmm....an interesting idea you have there. I actually don't know what year K member is IN my car. She was originally a slant 6 and now sports a smallblock K member, swapped in before I bought it 13 years ago. This car is such a Frankenstein, and none of the work was ever documented. As far as additional weight transfer with motor relocation 1.5" forward, is this that much of an issue? The Belvedere is already 17' long end to end and the wheelbase is 116", same as the '65.

I'm completely with you on the look of the original manifolds. They are some seriously sexy ****. My intake is sitting on my dinner table and it's my favorite dining companion....my son and boyfriend fall somewhere after that. Yeah I'm totally in love. And my b/f cringes at how much I'm spending...my answer? Well, if I still have YOU after 13 years, you'll get this much spent on you too...
Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Mopar Lover

I have used TTI headers on several projects. They fit better than any other headers period. Ground and fitment clearance is never an issue. I just got the last ones (project Dart) polished ceramic coated. Reduces heat big time! and the finish stays looking great.

I understand the factory look and wanting to stay original. A look that I have been willing to accept is the "day two" restoration. That is a car that has been restored to look the way it would have the second day the owner had it home. Often these cars were fitted with headers and wheels shortly after the car came home. this can be a period correct look that is fine in the restoration circles. In all actuallity. anyone old enough to remember, theses muscle cars were NEVER driven around with the factory dog dishes (poverty caps). This was the way a car was delivered that was going to get wheels and tires as soon as the paperwork was finished. Many times guys took wheels to the dealer and installed them before even driving it home.

I see headers as the same type modification. Go ahead. Make it yours.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Mopar Lover

well it would be something to look into. I dont have any pics to compare the early to late K's to be able to ID them. Hopefully someone could come through with this on the forum.
I don't really think putting the engine forward would make too much of a difference at only 1.5 inch. Then all you would have left would be to find or fab a longer drive shaft and mod the trans mount a bit. Of course the shifter location and/or linkage might need to be modified. Minor problems (especially if you got a chop saw and cheap welder) LOL!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Hell kitten

Well, after much much deliberation and angst...I've decided to go ahead with the TTI headers.

Although headers are my least favorite aesthetic choice, they also happen to be the easiest and best fitting option for this project.

The original exhaust manifolds would have been a nightmare.

At least progress moves forward.

More to follow soon.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Wink

I went with the ceramic coated ones and I got them from Mancini... You will be happy. I went with 1 7/8ths for my bored .30 over 440 with the Eddy RPM heads. You can take a look at them on my rebuild photo album. Good luck
Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Hell kitten

68 Sat, I can't see the headers on your frontal engine shot.

So you guys like the ceramic coat option? Seems less mess than that chrome.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Aria
So you guys like the ceramic coat option?
Get the ceramic coating,keeps the heat in the pipes and less in the engine compartment.