1949 1st series New Yorker 4dr for sale. 29K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1949 1st series New Yorker 4dr for sale. 29K miles.

I've bought another car and so I need to get rid of my 1949 1st series New Yorker (same car as a '48). It rather pains me as this is a 29,000-mile original car and I really do like it, but I can't afford both cars long term.

I have the ownership history, three owners before me (first owner kept it until 1973; the next two were brothers). I bought the car about a year ago from the widow of the second brother.

There were 3 oil change stickers still on it (1960, 1964, and 1973) which I have carefully removed and preserved. The original warranty booklet was still in the glove compartment (original owner's name matched that on the 1960 oil change sticker, the only sticker to have the owner's name).

It was repainted in 1977. The paint is still pretty shiny though it is blistering in places. The paint is pretty much "10-footer"--you can't see the blistering until you get right up close. If I kept the car I would continue to treat it with the Meguires products (which I've already done) and would expect to get another ten years out of it until it really did look stupid.

Most of the chrome is 10-footer, save for the bumpers. It's shiny, but when you get up close you can see pitting. The bumpers are basically 100-footer--you can see rust starting even from a distance. It has all the original wheel covers. It also had the wide white trim rings which I removed and saved when I got the wide whitewall tires.

The interior is in very good original condition. All the plastic is excellent, including the steering wheel. All the guages work. The glass is good, except for the driver's vent window which has a crack. That's a flat piece of glass and any glass shop can easily cut a new piece. The glovebox door is cracked like they all do.

Mechancially it is very strong. It does not blow any smoke and the Fluid Drive shifts fine. I have replaced the entire brake system except for the drums (which, with only 29,000 miles should have a lot of life left in them). Also new is the exhaust (correct Waldron's), 5 tires (original style wide whitewall Firestone bias plys), complete front suspension (Kanters), rear spring shackle bushings, shock absorbers (with the correct totally hydraulic type--they're not gas charged), radiator hoses and thermostat (cooling system flushed), fuel lines (and restored the gas tank), points, plugs, condensor, coil and coil wire, vacuum advance, oil pressure hose, oil pan gasket, and an NOS choke. I have rebuilt the carb and had the throttle shaft rebushed. When the engine is fully warmed up and idling in gear (at the proper idle speed) you almost can't feel the engine running, it's so smooth. This does need the gasket between the intake and exhaust manifold.

I have a rebuilt water pump and a rebuilt fuel pump that I bought for emergency spares; they will go with the car. I also bought the front and rear crank seals to have for emergency spares; they will go with the car. I was also going to convert this over to electronic ignition and bought the Pertronix kit, but have not installed it. That will go with the car.

It does not have a radio but does have the dual heaters.

It was my intent to make this a car I could drive all around the country and indeed it has shaped up to be that. Cosmetically it will not win trophies but that was not my objective. You might want to stop and think about the myriad of mechancial and electrical parts that have only 29,000 miles on them and which would thus have a lot of life left in them (I've made a list). You wouldn't likely ever have to do anything about those. That's the benefit of buying a 29,000-mile original car, rather than one with 80,000-100,000 miles.

I'm asking $13,400. Feel free to email me with any questions; there are more details I can include. I also have numerous photos, including detail shots of the interior. I am in Ft. Worth, TX jameswraymond@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails 1949 1st series New Yorker 4dr for sale. 29K miles.-1949-1st-series-chrysler-new-yorker-front-seat.jpg   1949 1st series New Yorker 4dr for sale. 29K miles.-1949-1st-series-chrysler-new-yorker-w.jpg   1949 1st series New Yorker 4dr for sale. 29K miles.-1949-1st-series-chrysler-new-yorker-x.jpg   1949 1st series New Yorker 4dr for sale. 29K miles.-1949-1st-series-chrysler-warranty-booklet.jpg   1949 1st series New Yorker 4dr for sale. 29K miles.-1949-chrysler-new-yorker-oil-change-stickers.jpg