1967 B body under dash defroster components needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Hell kitten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1967 B body under dash defroster components needed

Hi everyone,

Here's hoping I am not the only one out there that has encountered this. Tonight, I went to install my squeaky new glove box liner, only to notice some plastic piece ominously hanging from under the dash. Upon further inspection, this is the piece that screws to the underside of the dash and creates the defroster. This plastic has become brittle over the years, and the bolt holes are broken off beyond repair. Additionally, the wire-reinforced fabric style hose is torn and gouged in a number of places, making repair unfeasible due to the condition of the material.

Does anyone know where I can obtain another pair of the under-dash defroster pieces? I think I can locate new hose, I am not worried about concours here, this car will be a driver again soon.

They look like something that would attach to your vacuum, with the hose attached. Mine are both broken at the bolt holes (which would explain why they always did such a pithy job of defrosting!). Mine are too broken to repair, and I have considered trying to sleeve it with metal and pad with foam, creating new bolt holes; alternately considered sending them to my brother and having him fabricate new ones from stainless steel for me, again, installing with foam gasket to alleviate rattling.

I have unsuccessfully searched the usual suspects (YearOne, VVA, Legendary, Ebay, CL, etc) to no avail. I find lots of options for 66-67 A bodies, 65-66 B bodies and 68-70 B bodies.

I haven't searched the big yards in my area yet, knowing I'll pay a premium for a part that will, inevitably, also crack in time. My car hasn't been particularly roughly handled, so this was a surprise to me when it came time to install the new glove box liner tonight.

For the record, this is a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere.

Any help, or leads, would be most gratefully accepted!

Thanks!
~M