Member's Rides This section is for the members to show off their vehicles. Please read the rules before posting!!

Just purchased at retired forest service D350

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just purchased at retired forest service D350

I recently purchased a retired forest service 1987 dodge d350 for the price of a straight across trade of a almost junk 2001 suburban. That had all kinds of issues computer was going bad no radio no ac and leaked from every office. It was a pile of crap. The dodge had some issues but they were quickly resolved master cylinder was bad so i went ahead and put a brand new master cylinder, brake booster, pads rotors, calipers, pistons, shoes and drums, because I wanted the big turd to stop good. I also figured I would do brand new cooling system. So I replaced all the radiator and heater hoses, the radiator and heater core as well as fan clutch water pump thermostats and housing. Best part is how cheap all the parts are. The truck is a 4 speed with the np435 trans I also decided while I had the wild hair to put a new clutch and throw out bearing. Several days in it started doing what the previous owner said it was doing. Random no start especially after short periods of shut off. If I go to work and it's off for hours its starts fine but if I go to a gas station or store it wont start unless I crank on it for 30 to 40 seconds but didnt do it all the time. I replaced the ballast resistor and then cap and rotor no difference. So I put a 94 Chrysler electronic distributor in it along with a gm ac delco d1906 ignition control module and a msd blaster coil and ignition box now it starts better than it ever did. The bench seat was destroyed so I had a junk 2000 escalade sitting on my property and took the second row seats out of it and replaced my bench seat with that. Hooked the heated seats up to a toggle switch and it made all the difference in the world. My next mods are going to make a custom bumper for a wench and brush guard. Put a holder for my oxy acetylene tanks. And put a vice and water jug on rear bumper. I also want to restore it to the original forest service green paint. Instead of the white that the city painted it after they acquired it. It still has the government sticker on the glove box that states it's a crime to use a government vehicle for other than work purposes.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-11-2018, 01:34 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
That's a lot of work to get that beast in shape!
How's it running now?