440 guys I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what thermostat do you have in the motor?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=hmadic;15065]Im just starting to work on a 71 d100 truck came with a 6cyl and i put in a 360 out of a 78 van, i bought a motorhome 1978 with a 440 to put in the truck it has 40,000 miles on it it runs great, but runs hot, so after a new rad. clutch ...

Does it seem to be low on power too?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not under any circumstance power wash with the intake off, I jacked my block up when I power washed my block with all the old stuff on it, had to have the cylinders bored out as I couldn't hone out the rust. If anything I would pull the water pump housing and shoot the water through there. Also have you thought about changing the water pump?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by hmadic
Im just starting to work on a 71 d100 truck came with a 6cyl and i put in a 360 out of a 78 van, i bought a motorhome 1978 with a 440 to put in the truck it has 40,000 miles on it it runs great, but runs hot, so after a new rad. clutch fan and a flush new water pump the works, it still runs hot. No water in oil or oil in water, i put a temp gage in the block and there was rust in water jacket so i flushed it again and again the motor runs like new and dont miss a lick, a friend at the parts house said the block was stopped up with rust and said i could pull the intake off and stick a pressure washer in the water ports and free up the rust. Is this possiable im new to the 440s and dont know much about them HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP (grin) I would be greatful of any ideas
Im not sure if this would work on a bigblock but this is what i did with my 318 that used to run hot...I removed the thermostadt housing and the freeze plugs {yeah it stinks}...[this was with the motor out of the car in case you wondering]. then i just took a garden hose and put it in the thermo. mount hole, turned it on.. Then I took some a coat hanger wire and kind of used it to clean out between the cylinders, using the open holes where the freeze plugs had been mounted for the acess to the inside of the block. I was amazed at what came out and how cool the car ran afterwards [was living in Florida at the time so heat was an issue].
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Mopar Lover

Water pump is new, Ive never ran into this problem before on any motor. Friend told me that the water jackets in the 440s were bad to stop up with rust the motor only has 40,000 miles on it I hate to tare it down just to unstop it it leaks nothing and runs great it just runs hot. Im new to the 440s my 1st one got it at a good deal

How big is the radiator? [sounds like its stopped up though because of how fast it heats up.] How hot does it get? Does it spew antifreeze when it heats up? When does it run hot, in traffic? going down the road at steady speed? How close is the fan to the radiator? Do you have a fan shroud?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Rad hoses aren't collapsing on ya are they ? How's the timing, a little too much advance will warm em up. When you first start the engine (cold) take the rad cap off, are you seeing circulation ?
Do you have a shroud on the rad ?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Mopar Lover

I just tore down and rebuilt my 440 with 38k miles, the holes where the housing met up wasn't cleaned up and there was some leftover metal from the casting, and also minimal metal scale.

What I recommend for you to gauge what's in there before you do anything else would be to pull the radiator hoses and the water neck and spray your hose in there and see what comes out. (I know you flushed it, but keep doing it until nothing comes out) Also maybe change up your antifreeze mixture.

One benefit of pulling the housing is that you can narrow it down to one side or the other as long as there is no cross over.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Someone said something to me once about a crossover with the intake, I haven't seen it on the 440, so I assume it is in one of the smaller engines.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Mopar Lover

there is no cross over that I see (i guessing you mean cross over pipe. Where im at now is popping out the back freeze plugs and see if i can clean out the block that way, the motor is still in so it may be a pain I love the motor lots of power i know it will be fun when fixed
Sorry I haven't got back to ya quickly. I just noticed that you are from the south.{GA} Plugged up blocks happen in the warmer climates because people tend to just use water in the vechicles, Like if they get a leak or something and dont feel like fixing it, they just put water in there. Thats what happened to the car I had from FL, the guy never used antifreeze and the rust built up in the block . BTW, I got the car cheap cause the heatriser valve in the exhaust was stuck shut and the guy couldn't figure it out. He thought the engine was shot. The car really didn't run that hot but some of the freeze plugs were leaking so I decided to just pull the motor and fix all the leaks[oil and water]. When I popped the block plugs, thats when I noticed the rust and I broke out the water hose.At first I just used the hose but that wasnt working to well so; kinda like McGuyver, I grabbed the first coat hanger I could find. I worked it up in between the cylinder bores with the hose on, running through the thermostat housing. It kinda looked like a neat water fountain in the front yard with all the streams of water cascading out of the plug holes. {in a motorhead kinda way} I just couldn,t believe how much rust came out. {my neighbors were not amused} Just thought I'd share my experience, by bud thought it was hilarious.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Mopar Lover

yeah I'm thinkig of maybe lye or Drano or maybe muriatic acid. Be careful, this stuff is dangerous [all of it].
Old 03-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
RV 440... isn't there something about extra water flow thru the heads on an RV? I can't remember exactly, but it seems there is something about the front freeze plugs being replaced with water hoses to have flow thru the heads. Might check that in a search on here.

Also, a clutch fan will flow more air than a flex fan, especially at higher rpm.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Mopar Lover

He careful with whatever you put in the engine as you do not want to mess up the headgasket, but if its original it should be metal, mine was when I pulled it.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when i had a 195 thermostat(it came with the car) on the highway, it ran in the 210's
replaced it with a 160 and never had that problem again

Quick Reply: 440 guys I need your help